Young tennis talents have MU poised for MAC tourney

Sophomore Brintney Larson heads a group of underclassmen that are taking MU tennis to a higher level. She lost only one singles match in conference play this season.

Ron DeGuerre

Miami University's tennis team is on the brink of finishing its best season since the 1997-98 campaign.

While the norm for most successful teams for the Red and White is solid senior leadership, this group of girls is using their own formula for success.

All year the team has been plagued with injuries but was able to maintain a strong 13-6 record with the help of the team's young talent.

With four seniors and no juniors on the roster, the women's tennis team is dominated by underclassmen.

Freshmen Anastasia Dracheva, Megan Martzolf and sophomore Brintney Larson have been influential in the success of the RedHawk tennis team. Dracheva, a recent MAC player of the week, led the 'Hawks with a strong 11-3 overall individual record and played most of the season as the team's No. 1 seed. At the No. 2 spot in the lineup, Larson has also performed well, losing only one conference match all season.

"I've had a lot of experience throughout the years and have held leadership roles for most of my career so it hasn't been a huge change for me," Larson said.

Larson has been a top player for most of her life. As a 16-year-old she was ranked as high as No. 2 in the nation in singles.

She has accumulated four gold balls in doubles and reached the singles final of the USTA Super National Hard Court Championship. Playing at this top level has only helped Larson develop experience and a cool attitude while performing under pressure.

"I've had to deal with pressure throughout my career," Larson said. "It only adds to the fun in competing."

With the help of more experienced players like Captain Victoria Pulido and coaches Howard Joffe and Ricardo Rosas, these young talents have successfully acclimated themselves to college tennis. All the young girls seem very appreciative towards all the help they've been given throughout the year.

"Vicki was particularly helpful at the beginning of the year," Martzolf said. "The coaches would and have gone out of their way to attend to any problem a player might have."

Freshman Cara Wald, whom Joffe has called the heart and soul of the team, recently returned to the lineup from an injury. She and fellow freshman Martzolf were paired as the Red and White's No. 1 doubles team Friday.

Wald then won her first singles match back from her ailment with an impressive 6-0, 6-1 victory in the No. 5 slot.

Meanwhile, Martzolf was busy winning her No. 3 singles match in equally impressive fashion, 6-1, 6-2.

Joffe said he is extremely proud of his young team and feels that the 13-6 record isn't completely accurate.

"We haven't played a match with our full lineup since early February," Joffe said. "These young girls have done extremely well in taking on the dominant roles on the team with injury being prominent throughout the season."

The RedHawks were defeated last week by Western Michigan who looks to be the team's strong competition in the upcoming MAC tournament.

"The majority of the matches went three sets and unfortunately we couldn't pull out the win," Martzolf said. "The team's ready for the tournament and have no other goals but to win it all."

With positive attitudes and anxious young players, the Miami RedHawks are excited and prepared for the MAC tournament in Buffalo. The team has struggled with injuries but with a healthy lineup filled with young talent, the 'Hawks look to be in good shape to achieve their goal of taking home a MAC championship.