Writers face-off in football debate

After sitting out much of the 2006-07 season, senior running back Brandon Murphy will look to take some of the pressure off of Miami's aerial attack.

Ben Garbarek and Mike Zoller

With the Miami University football team opening its season in a week at Ball State, questions have been swirling about this season's team. Sports editor Mike Zoller and senior sports writer Ben Garbarek square off about Ryne Robinson, last season's record and which games will be hot to watch.

How will the loss of Ryne Robinson and Joey Card affect the 2007-08 team?

G: I think that Miami will sorely miss these two former stars, especially Ryne Robinson. Robinson was a fantastic playmaker and dangerous threat, always commanding attention on defense and freeing up others to make plays. Without him in the lineup, opposing defenses will be able to focus more on Miami's remaining receivers without worrying about "the Deuce."

However, losing Card is also going to hurt because of his ability to make plays. Opposing offenses won't have to worry about a playmaker like Card lurking, giving them more freedom to play their style of offense.

Z: Whenever you lose your top wide receiver and primary target for your quarterback, the team will need to rebound quickly. Also, on the other side of the ball, Joey Card's leadership, as much as his skill, will be missed by the RedHawks. The main effect I believe in losing both stars will be their leadership and the way the team looked to them to step up and make a big play when needed.

Will this season be more disappointing than last season?

G: No way-if only because there is nowhere to go but up from last year. It's hard to disappoint more than a 2-10 season that saw so many late heartbreakers and key injuries. The only way the RedHawks can disappoint more than last year is if they return healthy and still only manage a 2-10 record without any excuses. After a long string of successful seasons, last year's disappointment should make fans realize that the climb back won't be overnight.

Z: For everyone's sake let's hope not-and it shouldn't be. The RedHawks are more experienced and relatively injury free. They are going into this season with more confidence and more determination. After last season's embarrassment there's no way the 'Hawks will be the same team we saw last season.

What player is under the most pressure to perform this season?

G: Mike Kokal. He had an up and down year last season with taking over as quarterback and many will be looking for improvement during his second campaign. Brandon Murphy is back and healthy, giving Kokal a better running game to balance the RedHawk aerial attack and Kokal will also be afforded more protection with a healthy offensive line that was injury-ravaged last season. To his credit, Kokal finished among the nation's leaders in total offense despite a makeshift o-line and a nearly nonexistent running attack. However now that six wide receivers from last year have left and Ryne Robinson has departed for the National Football League, Kokal will need to step up and make his own plays to make up for the depleted receiving corps.

Z: This is clearly a no-brainer. Mike Kokal without a doubt is under the most pressure in 2007 to perform and lead the RedHawks back to a Mid-American Conference Championship. Not only did the team suffer their first losing season since 1989 while he was under center, but he has been faced with the tough act of having to follow Roethlisberger and Josh Betts-both of whom are in the NFL. To make things even more difficult, Kokal will have first-year quarterback Clay Belton breathing down his neck for the starting position if he doesn't perform. Belton has impressed just about everyone who's watched him during summer camp. If he doesn't get redshirted this season it might be interesting to see how Kokal performs under pressure.

Who will be starting games at quarterback six games into the season?

G: I'm going to stick with Kokal. Kokal had stiff competition from sophomore Daniel Raudabaugh and junior Jared Elliott and had to earn his starting spot last year. Raudabaugh is poised to be the future QB, but I'm optimistic that Kokal can put together a solid senior campaign and finish his Miami career as the starter. Many forget that Kokal put up solid numbers last year despite all the obstacles, but with tough road games against Minnesota and Colorado in the first half, Kokal will be tested early and often. If he doesn't respond, I would not be surprised to see Raudabaugh inserted as starter to give him experience leading into next year.

Z: With a little hesitance, I'm going to say Kokal will still be under center six games into the season. I think that Raudabaugh, who is currently second on the Miami quarterbacks depth chart, will drop to third sometime in the early part of the season to make way for Belton. If Kokal struggles over the first half of the season I wouldn't be surprised if Belton starts the last couple of games to prepare him for the 2008 season, in which he will almost surely be the opening day starter. If Belton gets redshirted, he will watch from the bench this season and continue to gain knowledge and experience from watching and practicing during his freshman year.

What will be stronger this season for Miami: The running game led by Brandon Murphy, or the passing game led by Mike Kokal and Dustin Woods?

G: I see the running game headed by Murphy leading the RedHawk offense. Two years ago Murphy rushed for more than 1,000 yards and earned second-team all-MAC honors as a sophomore. Last year wasn't an accurate portrayal of his talent as he dealt with ankle problems all season and was never quite 100 percent. Miami should have a strong running game with a healthy Murphy. The 'Hawks lost six of their receivers from last year and while Woods is going to be fun to watch and a crowd favorite, he will be asked to carry a large load for a redshirt freshman.

Z: The late Terry Hoeppner changed Miami from a running attack to an aerial team, and his strategy is still used today by Shane Montgomery. While Murphy is the anchor for the running game, Kokal and his wide receivers are what make the offense work. Look for Kokal to utilize the speed of Woods and go down the field several times a game. With a threatening air attack look for Murphy to get some bigger holes when the ball stays on the ground and really pick up some yards.

What one game are you most looking forward to?

G: Cincinnati. The Bearcats have improved the last few years and are posed to continue their learning curve. They have a new coach and it will be interesting to see how their transition goes. Plus, the Battle of the Bell seems to be an exciting game each year no matter what the records are. I hope to see the Red and White run to the Cincinnati sideline and take the bell back this year, not to mention that fact that I would love to rub that in my Bearcat of a mom's face.

Z: I too am looking forward to the home opener Sept. 15. Miami will renew its rivalry with the Cincinnati Bearcats in the "Battle for the Victory Bell" game. The rivalry game is the fifth longest series in college history in terms of actual games played with 104. It is, however, the oldest rivalry between two teams, which started in 1888. Miami currently leads the series 55-42-7, and has won six of the last 10 Victory Bell games. Miami will look to claim the Victory Bell back, after losing last year in Cincinnati 24-10.

What one game will Miami pull an upset and shock fans?

G: I'm going to say Sept. 9 in

Minnesota. It's early in the season and anything could happen. Minnesota has a new coach that was recruiting last season and not even coaching. This unorthodox move could backfire and hopefully the RedHawks can start the unraveling. Mi ami has some questions about its passing attack, but the Golden Gophers finished last in the Big Ten in passing defense, so the 'Hawks may be in luck.

Z: I think that the dome and Minnesota will be too much for the 'Hawks to handle. I think that the RedHawks' chance to turn the nation's head will be in their new home-and-home series against Vanderbilt. The Commodores coming off of a disappointing season, going just 4-8 and didn't impress recruiters with its incoming class during the summer. If Miami goes into that game like they went into Purdue last season, look for Miami to stun the Commodores and come back home with a win over a BCS division school. If the RedHawks are going to turn heads this season, the Vanderbilt game is their chance.

What game will give Miami the most problems this season?

G: The RedHawks face a tough test Oct. 27 in Nashville against Vanderbilt. Vandy is no longer just the "Jay Cutler Show," they have some talented players and will be returning 17 starters from last year. The Commodores are coming off a strong season, including a big win over Georgia, and expectations are even higher for this season.

Z: Obviously the two games that worry me the most are non-conference games, at Minnesota and home against Syracuse. Miami isn't up the caliber of these BCS schools and especially when they go into Minnesota, might be overwhelmed with the atmosphere they will face. However, this team has gone to Michigan and Ohio State where the atmosphere is unlike anything in college football, so hopefully they will be able to handle the noise. The one conference game that worries me is the season finale at Ohio University. Miami has never faired well in Athens and if there is a lot resting on the game, who knows how Miami will handle the pressure.

How many wins will the RedHawks have this season?

G: This is a tough one. Miami

struggled mightily last season finishing 2-10, but many of those losses were tight games that didn't fall our way. The RedHawks could have gone 5-5 if several of those games didn't slip away in the waning moments. Miami will be returning several starters from last year so I'm going to say five wins this season. I think we have to be realistic and not predict a MAC championship quite yet, but I'm looking for marked improvement from this year's squad. But I think the Cubs are going to win the World Series every year (including this year), so don't hold me to that number.

Z: Miami will play 12 games this season, and have a tough non-conference schedule including teams like Vanderbilt, Colorado and Minnesota, all of which are on the road. In addition to their tough non-conference schedule, Miami also plays a rapidly improving MAC schedule. Miami will luckily get to play Bowling Green and Akron at home this season but will go on the road against Ohio and Kent State. After analyzing the schedule, I'm giving Miami five to six wins this season.

Will Miami go to a Bowl Game this season?

G: The hopeless optimist wants to say yes, but I just don't see that happening. After struggling mightily last year and losing the team's top playmakers on both sides of the ball, this year will probably be more of a rebuilding year. Miami pulled in a great recruiting class last year that should help make a push for a bowl game the next few seasons, but I don't see that happening this year. Going from 2-10 to a bowl game is a gigantic leap that's extremely difficult to pull off and I don't think the 'Hawks are equipped for that kind of rapid turnaround.

Z: This is a big question to ask even before the RedHawks play their first game. Right now before the season even starts I would say that Miami will be sitting at home come Bowl time. However, a couple of surprise wins and Miami might get enough wins to qualify for a bowl game. Again, it's just far too early to really be able to make an educated opinion on whether or not Miami will be playing come December.

Although first-year quarterback Clay Belton won't be the starter for the 2007-08 season, coaches predict him to have a promising future at Miami.