WMSR requests less funding, applicant number highest yet

First-year students, Andrew Klatzke and Jacob Negrey get ready to broadcast at WMSR station in Williams Hall. WMSR recently decreased their budget by $8,000.

Stephanie Walters, For The Miami Student

First-year students, Andrew Klatzke and Jacob Negrey get ready to broadcast at WMSR station in Williams Hall. WMSR recently decreased their budget by $8,000. (SAMANTHA LUDINGTON | The Miami Student)

While some student organizations lose funding, WMSR made the decision to request less funding.

This past week, WMSR, better known as RedHawk Radio to students, proposed their budget for the 2010-11 school year. The proposed budget was $8,000 less than last year's budget, a 23 percent decrease. The committee on student media organizations provides the funding for WMSR.

WMSR's faculty adviser, Joe Sampson, said the reduction in the requested budget is because the money was unnecessary.

"I advised them to ask for a smaller amount. Don't ask for the same amount just because they can get it," Sampson said.

The economic situation felt across the country has become noticeable at the university. With funding for other organizations being cut, WMSR felt the money that was going unused could be used elsewhere in the university.

In the past, the general manager, business manager and the 10 other board members received an hourly wage for working at the station. With the new budget only the general manager and the business manager will continue to be paid for their work.

"Productivity wasn't related to payment," Mike Cohen, general manager, said. "People were working regardless of pay or not; people weren't even clocking in. Members of the station are more concerned with the station and want to see the money there."

Even with the pay cuts, applications for the 10 WMSR board positions are the highest they have ever been. These positions include the chief engineer, events coordinator, advertising/promotions director, programming director, production director, two co-music directors, sports director, new director and the chief designer.

Another Miami University media organization that has experienced funding cuts is Up, the fashion magazine.

Lauren Kelly, Up editor in chief, said, "Up is currently funded by ASG, ad revenues and fundraising, but we are moving under COSMOS next year."

Up was awarded $5,831 during cycle two of Associated Student Government (ASG) student organization funding. This is about $3,000 less than Up was originally awarded.

According to the ASG Web site, the student organization funding committee, a part of ASG, handles funding for student organizations three times each year. This committee consists of 13 voting student senators and at-large members, two advisers and the vice president of student organizations who chairs the committee.

The committee initially tells an organization what money they will likely receive. The committee than takes their recommendations to the student senate for final approval. Cutbacks sometimes occur when the budgets are taken to the senate. After student senate approves the funding, the vice president of student organizations contacts the organization and the money is transferred shortly after, according to the ASG Web site.