While You Were Away: Miami Athletics Update

Photo by Lauren Olson
Photo by Lauren Olson

While school may stop for some during the summer, Miami University athletics do not. While certainly not as eventful as the school year, several notable events did happen during the summer. I've complied a few of them below.

TMS website

If you've visited miamistudent.net in the past two weeks or so, you'll notice the site is completely new. It is a big change and upgrade over the old site. For starters, the search engine should no longer be broken. So when you're searching for stories (sports or otherwise), you won't have anywhere near as much difficulty finding them. The new site will also allow us to get more content online faster.

Go ahead and check out the site online and let us know what you like, what you don't like and any suggestions you have.

Baseball

This happened at the very start of the summer, but a pair of RedHawk pitchers were taken in the MLB Amateur Draft. Ryan Powers went to the Philadelphia Phillies in Round 22 and Seth Varner was selected by the Cincinnati Reds in the 10th round of the draft. Varner left Miami as the only pitcher in school history to win the MAC Pitcher of the Year award.

He's currently pitching for the Billings Mustangs, the Reds' High Rookie League Team. Varner has appeared in 11 games, with all but one coming out of the bullpen. He is 4-2 on the year with a 4.99 ERA and a 1.598 WHIP.

Football

Miami has a new coach, new QB and a new offense. Essentially, everything has changed. That's a good thing after last season's 0-12 debacle. Check out Friday's edition for even more about the football team or the depth chart released Monday.

Hockey

Miami's schedule has been out since April, but the RedHawks did announce one change to it in mid-August. The RedHawks will be returning to Chicago for the Hockey City Classic February 7. The 'Hawks will face off against Western Michigan University. This marks the second time the RedHawks will appear in the outdoor game at Solider Field. Miami played in the inaugural game two years ago against Notre Dame.

Miami opens the season with an exhibition game against the USA U-18 team Saturday, Oct. 14.

Men's Basketball

Miami picked up a transfer in former Auburn guard Dion Wade. Wade didn't play a ton during his freshman season at Auburn, averaging 10.9 minutes per game. He averaged 3.0 points per game and 1.3 rebounds per game.

Wade was a McDonald's All-American, a three-star prospect and held offers from the likes of USC, Gonzaga and San Diego State. He is originally from Belgium and can speak four languages.

Wade underwent knee surgery over the summer, but has to sit out a season anyway due to NCAA rules. He'll have three years of eligibility remaining.

Soccer

The only Miami University sport to have already started regular season play, the soccer team is off to a fast start. They've already won their first two games, so be sure to check out the team's season preview.

Tennis

Former head coach Anca Dumitrescu resigned in early July, citing the desire to spend more with family, including her year old child. Athletic Director David Sayler hired Yana S. Carollo to fill the void. Carollo has huge shoes to fill as head coach: In four years, Dumitrescu won four regular season MAC titles. She lost just two MAC games. Carollo was previously an assistant coach at Virginia Commonwealth University.