What the Fugg: The ruin of down under's finest

Stephen Bell

In a sea of Vera's and North Faces, one boot stands tall amongst the crowd ... the Ugg. As the "glory boot" strengthens its hold on Miami University students and forever leaves a dent in the bank accounts of all those lucky enough to own a pair, a rival is rising to challenge Miami's beloved boot of choice ... the Fugg.

To all those apart of Miami's fast paced, credit card slinging, upper-middle class elite, the Ugg is a monstrosity, yet to some, Fuggs are the only portal into a luxurious world of late nights and pregnancy scares only awarded to the privileged.

When judging someone's outfit, one usually starts at the ground. Ashamed for eating a Tuffy's roll or two Chipotle

burritos the night before, young Miami women scale the ground with their eyes, putting boots in the first in the line of judgment.

The fake Ugg, or Fugg as it is referred to on the streets, allows some women (and men) to experience the euphoria of stepping straight into an Australian.

Yet, for those who cannot afford Uggs, Internet scams can steal the dreams of young people trying to find their way in a material world.

One Miami junior, who identified herself as "Shelby Woo," received a fake pair of Uggs after consulting with what she described as a "sketch" Web site last Christmas.

Looking to purchase her daughter a "classy" pair of Ugg boots, Shelby's mother scrounged the Internet looking for deals on the Australian boot

After discovering the boots for nearly 50 percent off original sale price, Shelby's mother made the purchase, only to realize she had been scammed. After a long ordeal that

resulted in a full PayPal refund, Shelby was able to keep the Fuggs, but the emotional scars remain.

"I see everyone with their Uggs, and I just know they are looking at my boots and thinking, 'Wow, nice Fuggs,'" Woo said. "I can't even walk through Wal-Mart with my jean shorts and tube top without everyone thinking I'm trashy because of my Fuggs."

Woo is not alone in her shame. Though she fell victim to a vicious Internet scam, other Miami students have succumbed to the growing problem of the "The Miami Image."

Students who cannot afford hot Miami fashions are forced to seek out name brand items elsewhere with devastating consequences.

Former Miami student Stephen Rogers bore witness to the perilous effects the Fugg had on young women and has never been able to erase the images from his mind.

"It was so sad," Rogers said. "You would see girls hobbling on Fuggs they had obviously worn for years. I can't understand why there isn't some sort of charity set up for these people."

Hobbling isn't the only problem worn-down Fuggs present. Both Uggs and Fuggs present a slew of foot problems for long-time users. And as Shelby Woo explained, Miami could soon harbor an abnormal amount of "hobbling hos."

"My Fuggs are on their last leg, no pun intended," Woo said. "I went to Pita Pit this weekend with a few of my DZs and nearly cracked my head on the sneeze guard. But I have to say it's worth it."

Philadelphia podiatrist Dr. Ed Chairman maintained the fashionable boots, both Fugg and Ugg, lack foot or ankle supports, which can turn Ugg-wearers into "pain-havers."

The pain can be resolved with an orthotic if treated early, however, if the Ugg-wearer waits too long, surgery could be necessary.

Yet, good-looking experts disagree.

They argue that Uggs make you look kickin', thus allowing the body to release vitamin D, making wearers feel good.

As Amelia Earhart once said, "To look good is to feel good." In keeping with that philosophy, below is a guideline on how to test the authenticity of an Ugg boot should the wearer allow you to remove it.

How to spot a "Fugg" from an Ugg

1.) Sole of the shoe. The "Ugg" logo is barely legible with the Fugg.

2.) Look at the person wearing the shoe. Purchasing a Fugg is actually a criminal offense, so judge above the boot. As they teach you in grade school, you can usually always judge a book by its cover, so any suspicious persons wearing a beautiful chestnut boot if most likely a perpetrator trying to pass off a pair of Fuggs.

3.) Look for other indicators. Indicators like North Faces, Patagonias and orange skin are all outer features than can help verify the authenticity of an Ugg. If someone can afford a natural sherbert-like glow in the dead of winter, they can likely afford real Uggs.

4.) Inspect the logo. If it looks like it was printed from a HP Photo smart printer, they are likely not authentic Uggs.

5.) Lastly, use your five senses ...

Sight: Are they fUGGly? Do they look fUGGed up?

Taste: Authentic Uggs taste like suburban heaven and kangaroo meat. Fuggs taste like beef nuggets or Slim Jims.

Touch: When you touch the boot, do you feel as if you just kissed the pope on the forearm? If not, you have Fuggs on your hands.

Smell: If your boot smells like the inside of crab cake or Britney Spears after a barefoot trip to a gas station bathroom, you are likely dealing with Fuggs.

Hear: If you hold an authentic Ugg to you ear, your should be able to hear the rush of the ocean as if you were standing on the shore of an Australian beach. If instead you hear the bacteria-ridden slosh of the New Jersey shore, you are likely dealing with a Fugg.