War daily occurrence for Somali people

Viewpoint: Daily O'Collegian, Oklahoma State University

Imagine a country without a central government. Visualize a nation fractured among competing groups. A neighboring country's army installs a transitional government for the afflicted nation. The neighboring country? Ethiopia. The country in near anarchy? Somalia.

Somalia has lacked an effective government since 1991, when its last president (or dictator) was overthrown, which splintered the country into clan-based factions.

Sixteen years of civil war is alarming. While I'm sure there are places in the world that have been struggling for peace longer than Somalia has, I am only aware of it because of the U.S.'s prior involvement in the region.

Remember the film Black Hawk Down? It took place during U.S. intervention in the region. We pulled out in spring of 1994 before peace was secure.

Conditions have not improved much. Interim governments have come and gone, with the most recent Ethiopian - and United Nations - backed transitional government the 14th such regime since the conflict began.

The catch is Ethiopia's involvement. It takes interest in what happens on Somalia's doorstep, but historically, they haven't been close chums.

Religion may also play a role. Ethiopia's two major religions are Orthodox Christianity and Islam, according to the CIA's World Factbook. The government in power in Mogadishu was the Islamic Courts Union, adherents of a conservative form of Islam.

Perhaps Ethiopia's government didn't want the potential for an extremist government on their border. Granted, not all Islamists are extremists. The fear they will become such is a legitimate concern.

A more plausible reason exists for intervention, though. Because Ethiopian troops backed the transitional government, it seems this government would look favorably upon the power that put it in place. Ethiopia could thus exert influence more easily and make sure Somalia doesn't threaten

its interests.

The notion the United Nations also backs the transitional government may not allow it to gain control of the whole country, either. The "do nothing" perception of the August body can only serve to help undermine the new government's credibility.

The goals of those now in power should be to bring the factions together, form a stable government and end the chaos. With these goals achieved, the regime can begin to feel secure.

After almost two decades of upheaval, it's time to control the situation. The U.N. Security Council has authorized the creation of an African peacekeeping force of about 8,000 to assist in ending the conflict. Hopefully, other nations will assist by either joining the force or contributing money.

It's way past time to move Africa from the back burner of concern to the front. We are all human. The problems of one should be the problems of all.