Volleyball loses fifth straight match

Jordan Rinard, Senior Staff Writer

The Miami University volleyball team suffered its fifth straight loss as it fell 2-3 (25-13, 17-25, 27-29, 25-20, 10-15) to Western Michigan University (WMU), the preseason favorite to win the Mid-American Conference (MAC) West Division. The RedHawks (8-6, 0-2 MAC) are no strangers to extra sets, as they have had three matches go to four sets and six matches that went to five. Three of their losses have come against teams with winning records.

"We played pretty well," freshman middle hitter Paige Hill said. "We played with a lot of energy. We just made some unforced errors and we need to work on our consistency because every ball matters."

Senior libero Madison Hardy set the school record for career digs during the match. She finished with 24 in the match.

In the first set, the two teams were matching each other's runs stride for stride until the score was tied 8-8 and Miami went on a 9-1 scoring spree. Western Michigan (8-7, 1-1 MAC) was unable to recover as the 'Hawks took the set 25-13.

Western Michigan came into the second set clicking offensively as it took an early 6-3 lead. The Red and White nipped at the Broncos' heels throughout the set but would only come within two points of WMU. The MAC West power would close the set on a 5-1 run.

The third frame was much like the second, with the Broncos getting a quick start on offense and the RedHawks following closely behind. After tying the score at 23-23 the two sides would trade points until WMU took advantage of a pair of Miami mistakes to take the set 29-27.

In the fourth set, Western Michigan took a quick 3-0 advantage and it took Miami a good chunk of the set to draw even. Tied at 17-17, the 'Hawks had a 3-0 run that gave them a lead they never relinquished as they held on of to win 25-20.

The deciding fifth set began with the team trading blows until the score was 5-5 and WMU reeled off a 7-1 run. Miami clawed its way back to within three points but it was not enough as the Broncos took the set 15-10.

Redshirt sophomore Jenny Ingle and sophomore Annie Reiswig had solid outings for the 'Hawks with each posting 16 kills. Ingle recorded two solo blocks to go with her four assisted blocks. Junior setter/outside hitter Meg Riley had a double-double with 29 assists and 11 digs. Hill did a little bit of everything, recording 10 kills, four service aces, three digs, a solo block and four block assists.

"Neither team hit well, but Western was more aggressive and connected well when they had to," head coach Carolyn Condit said. "We need to work on the chemistry between our setters and our hitters so that were more prepared against good blocking teams. We have to learn to close. Our young team has to keep growing and the test next weekend will do us good."

The RedHawks make their first road trip of the conference season this weekend as they take on Ohio University 7 p.m. Friday and Kent State University 7 p.m. Saturday.