Visiting professor to share Islam's future, role in current world climate

Laura Bryant

"In order to be a knowledgeable, functioning individual in the world, everyone needs to become familiarized with Islam," said Mary Jane Berman, director of the Center for American and World Cultures (CAWC) at Miami University.

This is why the CAWC is bringing Reza Aslan, a research associate at the University of Southern California's Center on Public Diplomacy, to Miami University to speak on "The Futureof Islam."

"I cannot imagine how students and professors wouldn't be interested in Islam considering the events of the world today," Berman said.

Aslan will be coming to Miami to speak to students and professors about Islam and its role in the modern world.

Mark Peterson, assistant professor of anthropology, explained why this particular speaker is significant.

"Aslan is one of the two or three most interesting people to read if you are interested in what is going on in Iran and Iraq," Peterson said. "He links cultural issues with political issues and social issues in a very intelligent and articulate way that is very easy to understand."

To illustrate his points, Aslan will pull his information from an international perspective. Berman added that this is especially important in the world today where Islam may not appear to immediately impact everyday lives, when in actuality, it does.

"(Aslan will) look at different countries where various interpretations of Islam are practiced and how the range of Islam can or cannot accommodate a modern life," Berman said.

Aslan's speech is meant to present Islam in a light without misinterpretations.

"There is a tendency on both sides of any debate between us and Middle Eastern countries for both sides to completely misunderstand each other," Peterson said.

Aslan's speech is part of the CAWC's effort to create more understanding among students on issues such as religion and politics.

In order to do this the CAWC hosts an International Education Week every year, and this year Aslan's appearance is part of this week.

Each year the CAWC also has a theme that it identifies through lectures, performances and art exhibits, and this year's theme is Intersecting Lives: Globalization is Diversity in the 21st Century.

Aslan has written for several publications including The New York Times, and he has appeared on several news networks. He has also written a book, titled No God but God.

Aslan's speech is free and open to the public. It will be held at 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 16, in the Shriver Center Heritage Room. For more information call the CAWC at (513) 529-8309.