Uptown updates

Renovations to the Subway uptown provides a fresh look to the dining establishment for Oxford residents.

Justin Reash, Community Editor

Renovations to the Subway uptown provides a fresh look to the dining establishment for Oxford residents. (JULIA ENGELBRECHT | The Miami Student)

Oxford's business scene experienced some changes over winter break and more are expected.

Uptown Subway gets new look

The Subway restaurant uptown recently underwent changes to its interior design. The store now boasts a rustic interior setting and free Wi-Fi is available for all patrons. According to store management, the changes were part of the owner's plan to make all of his stores uniform in design and quality. This particular Subway is part of a chain that consists of more than 25 locations based in Fort Wayne, Ind.

"O'Pub" on the road to completion

The new "O'Pub" bar near Uptown Park is currently undergoing interior renovations, according to Economic Development Director Alan Kyger. The bar is owned by Ted Woods, who also owns "The Woods" and "Woody's One-Up" amongst other enterprises. The bar is located within the same building as Chase bank. Before Woods chose that spot for his new bar, it was renovated by Park Place Property in 2007, according to Kyger. The building had been vacant before the renovation because Austin Parker's Floor Store had moved out years ago.

La Bodega not to be affected by sale

J.C. Rupel, the owner of the Oxford Copy Shop, recently bought the building that is home to La Bodega and second-floor apartments. The unique restaurant will not be changed at all, according to Rupel. His only plans are to renovate the apartments.

Hibbett Sports closes its doors

Hibbett Sports near Wal-Mart went out of business on Jan. 9. The sports apparel and equipment store was part of a chain that focuses on smaller markets, like Oxford. It was the only sports store of its kind in the city.