University TVs appear in residence halls

Philip M. Gibert, For The Miami Student

Miami University on-campus students are afforded many amenities in residence halls including a living space, kitchen, bathrooms and study rooms.

One more may join that list according to university officials who have suggested implementing a new system of getting information to students by installing additional televisions for the primary purpose of advertising announcements to students.

"Similar to the televisions in the Farmer School of Business (FSB), they can display announcements and important information about what is going on campus," Gabriel White, resident assistant in Scott Hall said.

White believes these televisions will spread information faster and be technologically efficient for students.

"A new television in the dorm will get noticed before a flyer," he said.

Meetings were held with vendors to replace existing message screen boards with a university-wide system to practically use them for emergencies, similar to the emergency text-messaging system said Claire Wagner, associate director of University Communications and Marketing.

Miami has televisions used solely for announcements installed in the Shriver Center and at FSB. These announcements include when and where events are being held in the buildings and advertisements that are university-sponsored.

Housing, Dining, and Guest Services are handling the project and no exact date has been given for finalized plans, but televisions have started to appear in halls including Scott and Emerson, White said. There is no word on what specifically can be advertised on the televisions besides university announcements and logistical information involving bus scheduling and dining hall menus.

Whether the cost will come from student fees cannot currently be confirmed Wagner said. Housing, Dining, and Guest Services could not confirm what expenses have already been used on the existing monitors installed when asked for comment.

According to Senior Donald Fullum, this is not an immediate need for Miami.

"We are already paying for too many university renovations such as the Armstrong [Student] Center and with the tuition increase we need to only focus on things that we need," Fullum said.

Other students like Sophomore Adrianne Johnson feel it is necessary for these monitors to be built.

"It is important that students feel safe with knowing everything that is going on at Miami," Johnson said. "The emergency system also helps because it shows that Miami is always thinking about the safety of students."