University to welcome former Secretary of Defense Robert Gates

101008-D-9880W-149 
      Secretary of Defense Robert M. Gates speaks during a joint Pentagon press conference with South Korean Defense Minister Kim Tae-young on Oct. 8, 2010.  The press event was held at the conclusion of the 42nd annual Security Consultative Meeting between the United States and the Republic of Korea.  DoD photo by R. D. Ward.  (Released)
101008-D-9880W-149 Secretary of Defense Robert M. Gates speaks during a joint Pentagon press conference with South Korean Defense Minister Kim Tae-young on Oct. 8, 2010. The press event was held at the conclusion of the 42nd annual Security Consultative Meeting between the United States and the Republic of Korea. DoD photo by R. D. Ward. (Released)

By Morgan Nguyen, For The Miami Student

Robert Gates, former U.S. Secretary of Defense, will speak on duty at 7 p.m. tomorrow night in Millett Hall. The event is free to students and the public and is sponsored by the Anderson Distinguished Lecture Series through the Farmer School of Business (FSB).

"[Gates'] sense of duty demonstrates the qualities of a strong leader," said Matthew Myers, dean of FSB. "It is our hope that the students will listen to his message and reflect on their own beliefs and translate them into responsible actions."

Students have expressed their excitement for the event. Sophomore Kosta Morris said he is excited for the lecture.

"He's a big name. We have the opportunity to listen to a talk that, if you weren't on college campus, you wouldn't have the chance to go," Morris said.

Myers said the excitement from the students made the time and planning spent coordinating the event worth it.

"It is energizing to see the campus rise to the opportunity of hosting such a significant event for the Miami community," Myers said.

Gates is currently the president of the Boy Scouts of America and the chancellor of his alma mater, the College of William and Mary.

He is the author of "Duty: Memoirs of a Secretary at War," which describes his experiences serving Presidents Bush and Obama after serving as Secretary of Defense for six presidents.

Myers said the committee that selects the Anderson Distinguished Lecture Series makes a nomination to the dean for final determination of who the speaker will be. It was Gates' prominence and success in his field that prompted a nomination for him to speak, Myers said.

"[We take] into consideration the scholarly or professional achievements of the candidate, their outstanding service to society and unique contributions to business and the economy… along with suggested candidate names from students, faculty, staff and community members," he said.

Many students know of Gates' successes and challenges in office.

"I think it was harder for him [as Secretary of Defense] than Rumsfeld [his predecessor] because the goal was obvious and immediate," said senior Nathan Holaday. "The tone had changed. Gates had to be more of a leader, and remind America about why we need to defend ourselves."

Holaday said he hopes Gates will offer general advice, address his experience and inspirational stories from his time in office and touch on the issue of cybersecurity. He said his main reason for attending the event is to learn from Gates.

"I have a general interest in politics," Holaday said. "If you want to be an expert in your field, you have to know the experts in your field, and Gates is one of them."

Morris said college is often a time when most students start to form their personal sense of duty and responsibility. It can be thought of as trial ground where applications of those ideas can be tested with minimal consequence.

"When I think of duty, I think of commitment," Morris said. "In my own life, duty means I'm going to commit to something even if something else comes up or if it gets hard."

Holaday echoed this sentiment.

"I believe we have two duties: to selves and other people," Holaday said. "We need to better ourselves and make the world a better place. For each other: be respectful, care about one another."