University senate votes to approve two new graduate programs

Lauren Karch

Miami University's graduate school will be seeing changes in life sciences coursework in upcoming years. The university senate voted Monday to approve two new graduate programs.

The proposed doctoral program in ecology, evolution and environmental biology (EEEB) will incorporate graduate level classes in botany, geography, geology, microbiology and zoology.

Michael Vanni, a zoology professor involved in the development of the EEEB program, said the areas of ecology and the environment have been recognized as strengths of the university and that a number of doctoral students already study within these regions.

He said the creation of a program focusing on ecology, evolution and environmental biology will recruit better students and faculty within the life sciences.

"We already are training a significant number of students in this area, but their degrees don't say that," Vanni said. "It'll make Miami more visible in this area."

The other proposed graduate program is in cell, molecular and structural biology (CMSB) and is an interdepartmental program involving faculty members from the departments of botany, chemistry and biochemistry, microbiology and zoology. CMSB will offer both a master's degree and a doctorate, according to zoology professor David Pennock.

Pennock said the majority of faculty hired by the zoology department had a background in these areas, and nearly 30 faculty members currently work in CMSB research.

Some concerns were raised about the use of resources and faculty in the new programs.

"In five or six years, I could see Miami leaning more towards Pearson Hall than ever before," said mathematics professor Mark Smith. "If you do find success, surely you'll need more resources than you currently have."

In response to concerns about funding and resources, Bruce Cochrane, dean of the graduate school, said having the new programs would generate additional external income without initially requiring new hiring.

"Neither one of these proposals explicitly call for new faculty," Cochrane said. "This is a repackaging of the talents we already have, giving them a focus that is identifiable for prospective students and faculty."

Phyllis Callahan, zoology professor and senior associate dean of the college of arts and sciences, said the university must do its job to get the word out about the new programs.

"It's really an issue of truth in advertising," Callahan said. "The students that are here already are really focusing in these areas."

The two new graduate programs were approved by the College of Arts and Sciences, the graduate council and the university senate. They will be forwarded to the board of trustees and then to the state for approval. If passed, the addition will bring the number of doctoral programs offered by the university to 12.