University Senate discusses new calendar, sustainability

Allison McGillivray, Campus Editor

Miami University Senate heard reports on the revised academic calendar, sustainability at Miami and an update on the 2020 plan.

Michael Kabbaz, associate vice president for enrollment management and Dave Sauter, university registrar, presented an update on the implementation of the changes to the university calendar, which were approved by senate in fall 2012.

Starting in fall 2013, each academic year will contain two 14-week semesters with one week of final exams, a 12-week summer term and a three-week winter term.

The 2014 winter term will occur from Jan. 2-Jan. 25. Instruction may take place on the weekends.

A survey on winter term received a positive response from Miami students, according to Kabbaz.

Out of 2,509 students on the Oxford and Luxembourg campuses surveyed, 75 percent of students said they were somewhat to very likely to register for the winter term.

"When you start looking across the academic divisions, because we know who these students are, it's equal interest across the academic institutions," Kabbaz said.

The university is also working to make sure there is need-based aid available for students who wish to participate in the winter term.

Sprint courses will no longer start the first week of the semester and will be six, eight or 12 weeks, according to Sauter.

The new schedule will have no overlapping time blocks for courses, which will allow students to be better able to schedule their classes according to Kabbaz and Sauter. In addition, there will also be more classes scheduled on Fridays.

Senate also heard a report on sustainability at Miami.

All Ohio universities including Miami are required to reduce their energy use by 20 percent from what was used in 2004 by 2014, according to Sustainability Committee members David Prytherch associate professor of geography and Yvette Kline director of sustainability and energy conversation.

Miami is working to meet its sustainability goals by shifting from coal generated steam heat to geothermal heating and cooling, creating a culture of sustainability at Miami and reducing the amount of waste it produces.

There will be a month-long composting effort in King Café starting in February. This effort will serve as a trial to determine whether this composting process will be sustainable in areas across the university.

Jim Kiper, professor of computer science and Phyllis Callahan, dean of the College of Arts and Science presented an update on the 2020 Plan.

Kiper and Callahan presented a revised primary goal of the plan, which is to "promote a learning and discovery environment that produces extraordinary and scholarly outcomes and improves our larger world communities."