University pre-law program sees success, student participation in 1st year

Amy Schumacher

More than 200 Miami University students have been advised by the university's new pre-law center since it opened its doors in August, according to director of pre-law programs Yvette Simpson.

The center, to be relocated from Upham 143 to Upham 159 within the next six to eight weeks, offers advising for pre-law students ranging from helping first and second-year students choose what classes to take, to assisting seniors with the application and preparation process for law school.

According to Simpson, some students will just come in once or twice while several students visit the office often.

Simpson said one of the first things she does in her advising sessions is try to dispel rumors and misconceptions about what a career in law will entail.

To achieve this goal, Simpson said the pre-law center has put on more than a dozen programs throughout the year, most of them involving Miami alumni currently holding a variety of legal positions around the nation.

An average of 20 to 25 students have attended each program, except for the most recent, a young lawyer panel, to which almost 50 students showed up, Simpson said.

Simpson stressed the significance of the receptions at these events, which allow for informal mingling.

"It is important to have this interaction and allow the students to network one-on-one," Simpson said.

According to Simpson, when the new center was first announced by e-mail to alumni, more than 520 responded, most of who were very excited and enthusiastic about the program.

Simpson said 13 Miami alumni were selected for the center's oversight board, their expertise ranging from a judge to a current law school student. Simpson said the board's mission will be to help the program run smoothly, as well as work directly with the students.

"They will be mentors and will also be available for shadowing and facilitating internships," Simpson said.

The center launched its Web site, still a work in progress, in January. It has pages specific to students and alumni, as well as an alumni spotlight that highlights what Miami graduates are doing in the law field.

The center hopes to add a student spotlight soon, Simpson said.

One of next year's projects will be a "Focus On" series, highlighting a different area of law every other month.

In addition to teaming up with alumni, the center has also been talking with law school representatives in order to build relationships with them, according to Simpson.

"We are providing the most comprehensive approach to law school that I've ever seen," Simpson said.

Miami senior Allison Vetter said the center has been a help to her.

"It's unfortunate for me, being a senior since it just started this year, but from what I've experienced so far, it's awesome," Vetter said. "(Simpson) does a great job."

Of all the assistance Vetter has received, she found the young lawyer panel most beneficial in preparing for next year.

"The most helpful thing that I went to was a panel of a bunch of Miami grads less than five years out of law school," Vetter said. "They gave us a lot of good advice on what to expect our first year of law school and once we get out of law school."

The center's final event of the semester is "Finding Your Way Through the 1L Maze: What You Need to Know to Ace Your First Year of Law School."

"This is a transition program for seniors already accepted into law schools that tells them even though they're accepted, we still care about them and are invested in making sure they're ready," Simpson said. "We really want to make this program a staple of the center."