University kicks off new ad campaign

Molly Leasure, For The Miami Student

"We live for those times when a professor's lecture, a group project or even writing a paper causes a student to have that ‘aha' moment – that moment that changes them – and potentially defines them." That's Miami University's new campaign slogan designed to raise awareness about Miami and its valued education. Read by a deep velvety voice, the message is spreading across the airwaves.

The ads will be shown on billboards, radio, cable television, cinema, Pandora and Facebook from now until the end of December in the areas of Cincinnati, Columbus, Dayton, Cleveland and Toledo and some will also be in Chicago.

"The purpose behind the ad campaign is two-fold – we hope to increase applications and to continue to increase our national reputation," said Tracy Hughes, director of marketing and creative services.

Miami has many new campaign projects this year. One new campaign includes the sponsoring of the Fountain Square ice arena in downtown Cincinnati. The message Miami is trying to portray to prospective students and parents is the transformative moment a student experiences during his or her time at the university, according to Hughes.

The "aha" moment is where the student realizes his or her capabilities and dreams.

According to Hughes, the administration began brand research two years ago and found that Miami has a very strong brand name, but not enough advertisements to let people know about it.

Miami's competition, Ohio State University, Xavier University and the University of Cincinnati have all been actively promoting their institutions for over 10 years.

"Research had shown that we had lost some of our enrollment advantages due to that increased competition," Hughes said.

The Miami Board of Trustees recognized it was time for a change, so they created the annual Brand Budget to actively market the university. A branding agency was also hired to help and a budget was decided earlier in the camping according to Hughes.

Hughes said she worked with the brand agency 160over90 to develop a clear ad to represent the university. According to Hughes, this particular campaign covers six markets and costs about $500,000.

Some students feel the ad doesn't accurately portray their experience at Miami or show the aspects that most attracted them to the school. "Miami isn't just about the classroom, they need to show more student life aspects, such as broomball games, study sessions or hangout sessions in the basement of a dorm," first-year Alicia Troiano said.

The ads will be shown on television during special times on cable networks along with four spots during the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade to support the Miami Marching Band.

"I feel like they should show more aspects of the school, I don't feel like it inspires me to come learn more," sophomore Amanda Beckman said.