University holds open sessions for CAS dean candidates

Jessica Tedrick, For The Miami Student

Three finalists have been named in the search for a new dean of the College of Arts and Science (CAS). The finalists are holding open forums in order for the students and faculty of Miami University to get to know them better before making a final decision. The finalists, Steven Howe from the University of Cincinnati, Robyn Hannigan from the University of Massachusetts and Miami's own Interim CAS dean, Phyllis Callahan, told The Miami Student why they would be the best choice.

Students will have until Nov. 17 to help in the decision making process. Go to http://www.miami.muohio.edu/academics/provost/admin-search.html to let the university know what you think.

Phyllis Callahan

Callahan, current interim dean of the College of Arts and Science, said she believes it is her experience with Miami that makes her the best choice for dean.

"I've been here for 24 years, I know the institution very well," Callahan said. "I believe firmly in our core values and have worked hard to promote those. I would be honored to be a part of helping us grow."

As far as the changes that Callahan would make, she replied that Miami is already undergoing changes that they are working on "making the Miami plan more aligned with learning outcomes."

Ultimately, she does not believe change is solely up to the dean.

"You have to have faculty," she said. "A dean just helps facilitate the process [of change]."

Callahan said she believes listening to students is something that Miami already has a handle on. She lists the number of student organizations, the importance of our student government and even the fact that there is a place for students to give input of who should be the new CAS dean.

Callahan will be available for questions 4-5 p.m. Thurs., Nov. 10 in 1 Upham Hall.

Robyn Hannigan

Hannigan, department chair of environmental, Earth and ocean sciences at the University of Massachusetts at Boston, said it is her "global perspective" that makes her "an awesome [choice]." She added that she is an enthusiastic and engaging person who has unique ideas to bring to Miami.

Hannigan said she would like to be the CAS Dean because she would have the "opportunity to facilitate others success," something that she said she loves to do. She added that "it's hard to decide what to be" saying that she always wanted to become a teacher but that becoming Dean would give her a chance to work with students and faculty to help better all parties.

One of Hannigan's top goals would be to get people talking about "what is the value of a liberal arts education?" She said people often speak about the more vague values that come along with the discipline, when really things are much more fundamental.

Hannigan has a simple approach to making sure student voices are heard.

"I would listen to you," she said. "I love listening and talking to students."

Hannigan will be available for questions 4-5 p.m. Wed., Nov. 16 in 2 Upham Hall.

Steven Howe

When asked why he would be the best choice, Howe, the head of the University of Cincinnati's psychology department, said his leadership positions at UC, including heading the psychology department and increasing the size of the department's faculty as well as doubling funding, gave him the experience needed.

Howe said he would like to be the CAS dean because of his passion for helping make sure students are successful.

"What I get excited about is being able to design systems that create pathways for people to be successful," Howe said.

These "pathways" would be to encourage and aid students in doing their best as well as helping recent graduates.

"I really am attracted to the idea of coming into a system that does so much right and taking it to another level and being able to create pathways," Howe said.

Howe said he plans to find out how to make the experience better for the students. He said he plans to make sure that students' voices are heard by focusing on and strengthening student organizations.

Howe spoke in the Bystrom room of the Shriver Center Monday.