University gardener toils in the soil to make campus colorful

By Tess Sohngen, Senior Staff Writer

Miami's Formal Gardens did not grow its beautiful reputation by Mother Nature's good graces. Horticulturist Bill Zehler has spent the last 19 years caring for and redesigning the gardens and beds around campus, capturing and perfecting the natural beauty at Miami.

Each year, Zehler plants approximately 18,000 floras across 20 different beds on campus, 6,000 of which go to the Formal Gardens. Some flowers, like the tulips, are already in the ground, but he and the five other horticulturists will plant over 9,000 more beginning in April.

"Different flower, different time," Zehler said. "Timing is very significant."

Because of the diversity of the flowers and their different affinities for the frost, each plant has its own optimal time for planting, which keeps Zehler busy during the spring and summer.

"I think he makes a big impact on the first impression of the campus," said Vincent Cirrito, Miami's landscape architect and grounds manager.

Cirrito said Zehler deserves a lot of the credit for making Miami look beautiful year-round, especially during the warm seasons when incoming students visit and form their first impressions of campus.

One of Zehler's favorite beds to plant is his own initiative and design: the red and white "M" in front of Pearson Hall where many seniors take a picture on graduation day. Originally made in the style of the old logo, Zehler continued to make improvements to the bed to best showcase the arrangement. He now crafts the beveled "M," raising the bed to an angle for better visibility and using a frame to give it more support.

Before applying for the job, Zehler worked in construction. Disenchanted with a future of constant construction, Zehler applied for the job opening as the horticulturist at Miami. When he didn't get the job, he waited until the position reopened six years later.

Zehler cared for his own organic garden for years before he considered working at Miami and still continues to do so. His organic garden stretches for half an acre, and Zehler feeds himself and his extended family with the surpluses from his garden. He plants "anything that won't walk off," including cabbage, herbs and tomatoes.

"My background was gardening, not flower, but I applied a lot of the principles that I use in my garden to here," said Zehler.

The first priority was to raise the beds and amend the soil. Zehler and two Miami students spent the first few years raising all the beds on campus two to eight inches higher and sloping the soil so they don't flood. They've seen lasting improvements since.

Zehler also designed the planting method used to grow the flowers year-round. First, he plants the seeds in bulk in trays of small planting cells, then, as the plants grow, he moves them to larger and larger pots. The system helps keep the growing efficient and organized. The flowers for the Formal Gardens are currently growing in the old greenhouse, waiting to be planted in April.

"They're talking about tearing this greenhouse down," said Zehler. "They really, really need somebody to step up and buy them a new one, because they can't afford it."

The older of the two greenhouses is rusting, leaking and in need of a new heating system. Zehler and the other horticulturists have fans constantly running to atone for the poor ventilation.

"The greenhouse is coming to the end of its useful life, and it needs a total renovation," said Cirrito.

The Formal Gardens, too, are in need of new renovations and maintenance, including new plants and beds, better sidewalks and a pathway to the Gardens. Cirrito and other Miami faculty are considering outsourcing the flowers, rather than planting and growing them in the old greenhouse, and storing them until they are ready for planting. They will make decisions and a timeline for the greenhouse this summer.

Cirrito and Zehler hope more students will appreciate and take advantage of the beauty of the Formal Gardens. Cirrito added that the Formal Gardens would be a great location to relax during the stress of midterms and finals week.