United Way falls short of 2007 fundraising goal

Katherine Kohls

Butler County United Way may have fell short of its 2007 fundraising goal, but with more than $2.5 million raised, the effort can't be called a flop.

Butler County United Way President Maureen Noe said poor national economic conditions were to blame for the shortfall. The organization hoped to raise $3 million.

Noe said she sees the money that was raised as a success, and attributed it to the charity of the people of Butler County.

"People believe in making a difference (and) people are willing to be generous," Noe said.

In light of the present economy, Noe said she was especially satisfied.

James Brock, a Miami University professor of economics, agreed with Noe.

"The economy is not doing so well right now," Brock said. "A lot of businesses don't have extra money to kick into United Way."

Noe said since the economy isn't as good as it could be, businesses aren't making as much money, which equates to fewer donations.

Brock said the price of energy, gas and heating oil has increased dramatically in the past year, resulting in a significant hit to the economy and an increase in utility bills for businesses.

"The same is true for individuals," Brock said. "As the price of food and gasoline increases, it takes away money that would otherwise be free to donate."

Noe specified that Ohio Causality Liberty Mutual, one of United Way's major companies, started making changes in their company in the beginning of September including downsizing, and laying employees off. She said this event made it a difficult time to focus on the community in light of the fact that many people were worried about their jobs.

"Businesses and consumers are concerned about short-term future and therefore more cautious," Brock said.

But Noe said she was grateful for the money that was raised. Yet Noe encourages people to keep an open mind about donating.

According to Noe, United Way Donations directly help organizations such as the Oxford Community Counsel and Crisis Center, Big Brothers and Big Sisters, Boy Scouts of America and Girl Scouts of America.

Noe explained that there is a committee comprised of 50 individuals from the community that reviews potential organizations for donations. The committee reviews the organizations' proposals, visits sites and scores the location based on ability to meet a target outcome.

"It is a community-driven process," she said. "And it is as fair as we can get it to be."

Brock said he believes that more people have begun to give to direct-focus projects, rather than donating to organizations like United Way. Brock, who donates to United Way, has begun to give more to specific charities during the last 10 years.

According to Noe, the goal for United Way for 2008 is to meet more of the needs of the community.

Just shy of the $3 million goal, Noe remained positive.

"It's worth celebrating," Noe said. "It's a job well-done."