Two fraternities give new, creative fundraiser a 'tri'

Amanda Hancock, Senior Staff Writer

For two Miami University Greek organizations, the race was on to host an original philanthropy event-complete with training wheels.

Members of Delta Kappa Epsilon and Delta Sigma Phi teamed up to put on their first annual Tricycle Grand Prix last Friday, April 26, an event in which teams of four competed in a tricycle race in the parking lot behind the psychology building. Six teams of four students participated, according to senior Connor Billing, Delta Sigma Phi's philanthropy chair. Each team paid $20 to compete.

There was also free Chipotle food, a booth set up for Southern Tide apparel and one for Country Club Prep apparel that offered free merchandise. All proceeds went to the fraternities' national philanthropies, the Special Olympics and The American Red Cross, according to Billing.

Sophomore Andrew Young, a member of Delta Sigma Phi, helped with the event's preparations, which began in January. He said there was a decent turnout of about 75 people, although most students who participated were Greek-affiliated.

"I want to try and expand to the entire community of Miami rather than just the Greek life," he said.

For the fraternities, the goal was to go outside the standard fundraising box and they came up with a tricycle race.

"Instead of a traditional idea, we wanted something that had not been done before," Young said. "We looked at a list of all of the philanthropic events, a trike race was not among them."

Junior Kaler Hazen, Delta Kappa Epsilon's philanthropy chair, said the event planning process went smoothly.

"This was our first time hosting a joint philanthropy event like this, and we didn't have any significant hang-ups," he said.

Billing said he also took part in organizing the Tricycle Grand Prix.

"The process to plan an event like this involves a lot of collaborating with the other organizations as well as the Miami Police Department (MUPD) and Student Activities," Billing said.

He said reserving the parking lot and getting insurance for the event were a few items at the top of his to-do list.

There were a few downsides of trying a new concept though. The event did not garner as much money as they had hoped, according to Young and Billing, and they were hoping for more students to attend.

"We did not expect to be a really popular event this year, but we will build on it for next year with what we learned," Billing said.

All in all, the students said they considered it to be a quality trial run.

"This year wasn't about getting numbers or money, but figuring out what we can do with the event in the future," Billing said.

The students hope to expand from this first go-around and make the event annual at Miami.

"It's obviously unique and hopefully in the future the idea will start to market itself," Hazen said. "The hardest part is getting the word out."

Young said it is difficult to compare this event to established philanthropy events such as Puddle Pull or Bump It Thump It that have success rates.

But the two said they are happy they broke out of the philanthropic comfort zone.

"We are hoping to make a good foundation for this event and possibly keep it going for years to come," Young said.