TJ Maxx plans to open in Oxford

Jessica Barga, Senior Staff Writer

When it comes to clothes shopping in Oxford, selection is limited, but plans are already underway to bring TJ Maxx department store to the vacant storefront on 550 S. Locust St. near the Dollar Store.

However, the timetable is still uncertain, according to Sam Perry, Oxford's city planner.

Alan Kyger, Oxford's economic development director, said the store has been in the planning stages since last December.

Core Resources, Inc., the company that owns the building, has been working on getting the site prepared for the move-in, Perry said.

"They're putting a new roof on, putting in a new loading dock and resealing the parking lot," Perry said.

Perry also said that the permit for the company's move-in has not yet been signed, nor have interior plans for the store been approved, but they will know more in a few weeks.

Plans for the design are currently under review, a process that typically takes anywhere from several weeks to 30 days, Kyger said.

"[But] that doesn't mean they'll be moving in in two weeks to 30 days," he said, estimating that TJ Maxx might be in Oxford in the spring of 2013.

Another concern was the location, which is near Miami's Demske Culinary Support Center.

"Demske wanted to make sure there would be room for trucks entering and leaving the facility," said Kyger. However, Demske determined that there would be no conflict.

The addition of a TJ Maxx would be beneficial for Oxford, Kyger said, by offering items such as menswear and luggage, both things that shops Uptown lack.

"Other than Walmart, we don't have a selection of wide variety," Kyger said.

There is concern the new store could take business away from some of the small existing stores, Kyger said, but he said he thinks there is room for both.

"The last thing we want to do is drive out small businesses," Kyger said. "The more we can keep people in town, the more it's going to help our merchants."

Sophomore Trenae Johnson said the new store will be good for Oxford students on a budget.

"A lot of stores Uptown are very expensive because they're boutiques," Johnson said. "But TJ Maxx has nice clothes that are reasonably priced, so it'll be a chance for people [to have more options]."

First-year Sara Schindler said that a TJ Maxx in Oxford would give students a larger variety of clothing and apparel choices.

"It'll give us someplace that's not really stereotypical of Miami to shop," said Schindler.

Oxford lacks men's clothing options, but the addition of TJ Maxx to shopping would bring a wider selection for men at Miami and in the community. Sophomore Travis Amburgy said he liked the idea of TJ Maxx coming to Oxford.

"That'd be legit," said Ambergy. "TJ Maxx has brand-name stuff for a cheaper price. I'd shop there."