The votes are in: Oxford reflects on results

Erin Bowen

Oxford City Council welcomes in three new councilors-Richard Keebler, Kate Currie and Greig Rutherford-following Tuesday's election.

After the polls closed Tuesday night, the 5,424 votes showed Keebler in the lead with 1,635 votes or 30.14 percent; Currie with 1,413 votes or 26.05 percent; Rutherford with 1313 or 24.21 percent; and Betty Quantz with 1063, or 19.60 percent. There were four candidates vying for three seats this year-with former Oxford major Quantz not receiving a spot.

Currie, a 1993 Miami University graduate, said she was at home with her college roommate when she heard the news.

"I was delighted with the news," Currie said. "I'm so excited to get going and working with the city."

Rutherford said he found it hard to describe his initial reaction.

"It wasn't surprise exactly, but my breath was sucked out of me," Rutherford said. "I was very pleased with that the results came out this way. I am grateful the citizens of Oxford have asked me to work on their behalf. It is quite an honor."

Keebler also said he was happy with the results.

"Obviously I was pleased with the results," Keebler said. "This was a goal I had set for myself and I greatly appreciate the support of those who voted."

Keebler said he is looking forward to seeing how the new council works together.

"We don't know 100 percent about each other's philosophies," Keebler said. "A consensus is very important in government, so hopefully we will work together well."

Rutherford echoed Keebler's sentiments.

"I think the other two candidates are very good choices," Rutherford said. "I certainly pray that we work together as a cohesive unit."

Along with electing three new city councilors, citizens cast their votes on Issues 16 and 20.

Issue 16 failed to pass with 4,844 votes, 64.79 percent against the tax and 2,632 votes and 35.21 percent for the tax. Issue 16 would have implemented a tax increase in order to fund the construction of a new joint high school and middle school while renovating other local schools.

Mike Crowder, a Miami chemistry research professor and a proponent of Talawanda Together, which supported Issue 16, said he was very disappointed with the results.

"We knew that a significant number of Talawanda taxpayers are against all bond issues and tax levies, regardless of details," Crowder said. "We have heard today that a large number of people didn't like the income tax part of Issue 16 while another large group disliked the property tax portion. We really believed that Issue 16 was a fair compromise."

In an Oct. 19 letter to The Oxford Press, Oxford resident Shirley Burgher defended her stance against Issue 16.

"This multi-million dollar project is to build a new high school and new middle school which we do not need," Burgher wrote. "Student enrollment in the Talawanda schools has gone down by 18 percent over the last few years."

Miami sophomore Laura Godfray expressed disappointment about the issue's failure to pass.

"Education is such an important opportunity for children," Godfray said. "I hope something can still be done to improve Talawanda schools."

Keebler, Currie and Rutherford also all shared disappointment with Issue 16's failure.

"I do believe the children of our community are the future," Rutherford said. "Education is a way for them to compete in this world and tomorrow's world, yet I understand that some people were against this method of funding."

Crowder said the widespread opposition was unexpected.

"I am very surprised so many voters were against Issue 16 given the very low number of criticisms and concerns voiced by people at meetings, presentations and door-to-door interactions before the vote," Crowder said. "Each time the issues fail, the kids ultimately suffer."

While Issue 16 failed to pass, Issue 20 was accepted with 1,355 votes and 59.02 percent. Issue 20, the Charter Amendment, will allow uptown development for apartment buildings with more than three housing units, while attracting business to the uptown district. All of the new city council candidates were in favor of the issue.

"I supported the Charter Amendment," Keebler said. "I feel it is necessary to help ensure reinvestment in uptown Oxford."

While Keebler was pleased with the results of Issue 20, he said he would have liked to see a greater voter turnout.

"Only about 47 percent of voters participated," Keebler said. "Obviously I wish more people would make an effort to use their voting rights, but the turnout was decent."

Chloe Tarrier, a Miami first-year who worked at the Holy Trinity Episcopal Church polling location, also said turnout was low.

"We've only seen about four voters," Tarrier said around 1 p.m. Tuesday.

Jane Kelly, an Oxford resident who also worked the polls, said the low turnout was particular to the precinct, which mostly incorporated student housing.

"These are all local issues," Kelly said. "Wait until next year when it's the presidential election-then we'll see more."

The newly elected councilors will take office at the Dec. 4 Oxford City Council meeting.