The gift of sports

Brian Gallagher

It's that wonderful season of the year, the air is cold, walks to class are frigid and it won't get warm for four months. I'm talking of course about the holiday season.

It's a time for giving (and receiving). So in the spirit of Buddy the Elf, I've decided to spread a little Christmas cheer of my own. Now let's open up Santa's sack and see what's in store for those in the sporting world.

The New York Yankees, who are always on the naughty list, gave Derek Jeter a slap in the face this Christmas along with his new contract. In this contract, the 36-year-old and face of the franchise for the past decade, was forced to take a pay cut or seek another place of employment. The Yankees even made their negotiations with Jeter public by involving the media in the process. They made it clear that with Jeter's age their offer was the best he was going to find. Just as Michael Corleone said in The Godfather, "It's strictly business, nothing personal." Apparently being the perfect son in the Yankee family was not enough to grant Jeter some respect. The good news for the Bombers was that they re-signed No. 2, but the bad news is that they will be receiving a lump of coal in their stocking once again.

To Cleveland Cavalier fans, I would like to give hope. This flame has been burning low in the city where the river once caught on fire. Ever since Lebron James decided to "take his talents to South Beach," the future has looked bleak. All hope was nearly quenched when he returned to the Big Plum and put on a show that Cavs fans had seen for seven years. All of the boos and vitriol the city could muster had no effect on the self-anointed "king," who had his best game of the season. Those winters can be cold up north, and I think the faithful in Cleveland deserve something to keep them warm.

Brett Favre, the ageless wonder, gets an ice pack and a pat on the back. After 20 years in the NFL and starting 297 consecutive games, the man deserves a rest and some time to heal. How his body is holding up to the game and how he personally deals with the constant media pressure is beyond me. It's always getting a physical challenge on Double Dare. He has also found the time to provide me with endless fodder (both good and bad) for many an article, so he gets a Stephen Colbert "tip of the hat."

There are many other stocking stuffers to hand out, but there is never enough time. After preparing for festivals, dig down deep and see if you can pull up a little spirit to spread. Maybe support the RedHawks as they play in the prestigious GoDaddy.com Bowl, give a gift of your own or just settle in for a holiday full of sports and sleeping in. Just hope you don't wake up to a lump of coal like the "damn Yankees."