Tech Tip: Stay Safe Online While Off-campus

Randy Hollowell, Senior Communications & Web Coordinator, IT Services

Most students take their laptops when they leave campus for the holiday breaks. So, to help you keep your computer and data safe and secure, here are a couple of reminders. Most wireless networks send your data over the airwaves in "plain text", which means anyone wishing to be malicious could see what web pages you visit, read your non-Miami e-mail, or even view your IM conversations! That is especially dangerous when you send your credit card number to order that sweater or IM your holiday travel plans - you could be giving away information that could be used to steal your identity or break into your house.

Miami provides a Virtual Private Network (VPN) client that encrypts your data so that no one can tell which web pages you use or what you type over IM. It also gives you access to most Miami network services, including the ability to connect to your M: drive. IT Services recommends using VPN every time you connect to Miami's services from off-campus.

You can get the VPN software for free from https://software.muohio.edu. Instructions on installing and using the VPN client are available in IT Help or by contacting the IT Services Support Desk at 513-529-7900 or ithelp@muohio.edu.

muConnect powered by Google Reminder

If you haven't already done so, please remember that all undergraduate students must activate their new Miami email/calendar account – muConnect powered by Google by January 4, 2011. After that date students will be automatically switched to the new system and will no longer be able to access or migrate old email messages to the new system.In other words, your old email will be deleted.

To activate your new email account, get instructions for migrating the messages in your old account, or for more information, go to www.muohio.edu/GoGoogle.

If you have questions about activating a new muConnect powered by Google account, or questions about migrating mail from the old system, please visit the Support Desk at 103 Robertson Hall, or contact them at ithelp@muohio.eduor 513-529-7900.