Tech Tip | Competitive proposals for Student Technology Fee now being accepted

Randy Hollowell, IT Services

Each year a pool of funds from the Student Technology Fee is available to stimulate the development of innovative student-focused technology projects on the Oxford campus.  A total of $525,000 is available and any student, faculty or staff member may apply for funding.  The funds will be awarded through a competitive process that is governed by a review team comprised of students, faculty and staff members from across the campus. 

A Question and Answer Session on the competitive proposal process will be held Tuesday, January 24 from 4-5 pm in the Bystrom-Reid Room in Shriver Center.  The deadline for proposals is Monday, February 13, 2012.  Funds awarded will be for projects in the 2012-2013 school year.

Over the past four years the Student Tech Fee Competitive Process has awarded over $2 million to 272 projects designed to use technology to enhance the Miami Experience.  Funded projects currently underway include installing a holographic 3D display system to showcase student work in the new BEST Library, providing laptops, headphones and tablet computers for checkout in the Libraries, and an electronic percussion program.

While most of the awards have gone to academic proposals, Miami student-led projects have also been supported.  The First Miami Student Credit Union received $4736 to upgrade its data processing system to provide more efficient services to their over 1700 members.  Students in the Entrepreneurship program in the Farmer School of Business received $6815 to deploy video equipment dedicated to the creation of web video including guest speakers, lectures and other features and deploying that video via iTunes U and YouTube.

For more information about the Student Tech Fee competitive funding process, including the proposal form, the complete guidelines and lists of past years' funded proposals, please visit http://www.muohio.edu/techfee.