Taking care of her girls

Erin Bowen

Shawnee Tucker is the type of person who would give you the shirt off her back.

Recently celebrating her 43rd birthday, Tucker was ecstatic to receive a new pair of tennis shoes. After seeing her niece's eyes light up at the sight of the new shoes, Tucker told her niece to go into her closet and select a pair of shoes for herself.

Her niece chose Tucker's favorite pair.

"I know she doesn't have the opportunity to get as many new things as I do," Tucker said. "So I took a breath and let her have the shoes."

Tucker is a housekeeper for the third floor of Hamilton Hall, a sorority living-learning community residence hall in Central quad at Miami University. Each day, Tucker brings her compassionate attitude to work as she continually strives to go above and beyond her call of duty.

She makes the third floor of Hamilton like no other.

To celebrate fall, Tucker pasted a border of fabric leaves down the length of the floor walls. A basket, filled daily with candy, sits in the common area surrounded by Halloween decorations. A black cauldron serves as a trash bin. Large scarecrows are scattered throughout the floor. Artificial pumpkins and gourds dress up the bathroom windows.

Tucker, who describes herself as "holiday oriented," pays for everything out of her own pocket.

"I do it all for my girls," Tucker said.

Tucker frequently uses the term "my girls" to describe the approximately 90 female residents who live on her floor.

"When people ask me what I do, I say I take care of 90 sorority girls," she said. "Then they look at me like I'm crazy."

To maintain a relationship with her residents, Tucker says she tries to stay hip with words, clothes and television programs. She knows how much things change from generation to generation. Tucker doesn't want an age gap to prevent her residents from feeling comfortable.

Born in Hamilton, Ohio, Tucker was raised in both Ohio and Tahlequah, Okla., as the second oldest with six brothers. A 1983 graduate of New Miami High School, Tucker now lives in Eaton with her husband, Lannie, and her 18-year-old son, Benjamin. She also has two older children, Amy, 23, and Joe, 20, who live nearby.

After high school, Tucker worked framing houses and doing other forms of woodwork in Oklahoma. She moved back to Ohio in 1992 and joined Miami's staff in 1998. Tucker began her career at Miami in Alexander Dining Hall and later moved to Bell Tower before ending up in Hamilton Hall.

Within the walls of Hamilton, Tucker consistently makes an extra effort to help her residents feel more at home. One weekend, Tucker took the time to hand-dye lace curtains to hang in the restrooms.

"I know I like things to be girly," Tucker said. "Everyone likes when things match."

In addition to the coordinating lace curtains, several dry erase boards are placed throughout her floor, which feature daily comments, tips and sentiments. Friday nights prompt reminders to travel in pairs after dark or to take advantage of Miami's Door-to-Door van system.

"It's a shame that my girls need to be protected from violence," Tucker said. "They have to be vigil. I care if they are harmed. My girls are smart girls, but maybe college doesn't teach them these things."

Tucker said she gained her compassionate and strong personality from her father. According to Tucker, her father ensured his seven children could easily adapt to change while remembering to give back to others.

"I have been fortunate most of my life," Tucker said. "My dad kept us grounded so that no matter where we are, we can survive. I hope this philosophy can rub off on my girls."

Tucker isn't the only one working long hours.

The four-person housekeeping team at Hamilton Hall works 8 a.m.-5p.m., Monday through Friday, with some weekends for special events, like Parents Weekend.

Sondra Lester, a Miami employee who has worked in residence halls for 14 years, described her co-workers as a close-knit group.

"We are a support system for each other at work," Lester said.

The team works under Jan Nelson, residence hall manager for MacCracken, Richard, and Hamilton halls. Nelson said her team routinely goes beyond the call of duty.

"The staff loves their jobs," Nelson said. "The students are extended family."

At Miami, Stacy Woodruff, director of residential services, hires residence hall employees.

According to Cathy Pierce; senior director of administration and human sources for Miami's Housing, Dining, and Guest Services; specific character traits are necessary when hiring a potential employee.

"I think it would hold true for all of our staff that we are looking for people who are dependable, hard working, positive and committed to providing excellent customer service," Pierce said.

Pierce added that Miami's employee retention rate is high.

"Most of the turnover in residence hall staff is due to retirement," Pierce said.

Tucker says she makes a point staying close with her co-workers.

"Every team has their ups and downs," Tucker said, "but my co-workers are the best in the world."

As far as relating with the residents, Lester calls Tucker "wonderful."

"Shawnee will definitely tell you what she thinks," Lester said. "The girls like that."

Sophomore Kate Tonnies, one of Tucker's third floor residents, said Tucker's efforts to liven up the floor are appreciated by all.

"Who doesn't like to live in a festive environment?" Tonnies said. "Everyone on our floor truly appreciates and enjoys Shawnee's interest in our lives and her efforts to create a seasonal mood."

Emily Spurlin, also a sophomore and a resident of Hamilton, said Tucker is a lively presence on the floor.

"Shawnee will talk to us and smile and just make us feel so much more comfortable," Spurlin said. "The occasional cookies and cake don't hurt either."

The housekeeping staff of all Miami residence halls participates in an approximately bi-monthly cookie or cake program, according to Nelson. Nelson said the program began nearly 15 years ago in an effort to enhance relationships between the staff and residents. Generally, baked goods are distributed because of their high popularity rate with the students, Nelson said.

Meghan Davis, a sophomore resident of Porter Hall, said she fondly recalls "cake day" at her freshman dorm, Symmes Hall.

"Cake day definitely adds a cuteness factor to the idea of living in a dorm," Davis said. "It makes you feel like a community."

Tucker brings everything she can to her community.

An avid gardener and woodworker, Tucker also enjoys riding motorcycles with her husband. Practiced in woodworking for 30 years, Tucker loves to carve wooden chests for her family and friends.

"Maybe someday I'll be famous," chuckled Tucker.

Besides making her mark in wooden creations, Tucker hopes to help shape the lives of her residents, even if in the smallest way.

"In this journey, we are all just passing through," Tucker said. "The best you can do is pass on kindness, gentleness and love. I want to be known for creating laughter and sharing joy while I still can."