Study warns of issues with text alert systems

Jaysie Flaherty

A recent study shows text message alert systems may clog phone lines and cause confusion, but Miami University IT Services said those issues aren't a concern.

The most recent use of Miami University's mass text system was during a windstorm that knocked out power on- and off-campus for days in mid-September.

The text alerted students of safety hazards and class cancellations.

But there are potential drawbacks to such a wide-scale system.

In September, Patrick Traynor, assistant professor of computer science at the Georgia Institute of Technology, released a report titled "Characterizing the Limitations of Third-Party EAS Over Cellular Text Messaging Services," where he explored the imperfections of mass text alert systems.

With the rising popularity of text messaging, Traynor said many universities have taken up mass text alert systems as a means of communicating with students in the case of emergency.

In January, Miami successfully tested and adopted the e2campus text alert system. The company, according to its Web site, has partnered with more than 500 campuses to serve as a means of communication in emergencies or severe weather situations.

Traynor said the nature of the system provides difficulties when trying to reach a large population. The SMS (short message service) text system works as a point-to-point architecture, he said, where a message is meant to be received by one individual rather than multiple users.   

Problems arise, Traynor said, when that text message is sent to a large number of people.

"Cellular networks can't deliver a huge amount of texts at one time," Traynor said.

This congestion not only affects the text message's ability to get to all those who need it, but can also clog phone local lines, according to Traynor. 

"People who actually need to call out for help aren't going to be able to do so," Traynor said.

According to Traynor, a possible inability to call out for help is the biggest issue of this overflow.

Cathy McVey, director of IT customer relations and communication at Miami, said Miami currently utilizes several forms of communication when getting the word out to students-not just texts. Other communication methods include e-mail and news releases.

McVey did not share the same concerns with the e2campus text system as Traynor.

"(They've) tested it several times, and so far the results have been extremely positive," McVey said.  

Traynor also said there could be issues adequately referring information to students, referencing a recent oil spill on Georgia Tech's campus where a mass text was used.

"A message was sent out to evaluate campus, then a second message explained the spill had been contained and to disregard the first message," Traynor said.

Traynor said half the students received the second message before the first, causing confusion.

Improvements to mass text alert systems are currently in development, but Traynor stressed that traditional forms of communication-like e-mails, sirens and TV broadcasts-should continue to be employed.

After being informed of Traynor's concerns with the system, which included unreliable messaging and the congestion of phone lines, McVey said any method has its weaknesses. She was previously unaware of any problems the system has with obstructing phone lines.

"(The e2campus text alert system seems) to be best for Miami's situation," McVey said.