Students wear red to support troops

Latoya Irvine

It's the end of the week and if you're wearing red, it may stand for more than you think.

Friday, College Republicans and others will take part in the first Red Friday on Miami's campus as part of a campaign that seeks to show support for troops serving abroad.

Anyone can participate by merely wearing anything - from clothing to accessories - that is red.

Red Fridays originated with the daughter of a Marine who urged people to support the Americans serving abroad through a chain letter passed over the Internet, said Jenna Bechtholdt, a publicist for the College Republicans. The letter ends with the motto:

"Their blood runs red - so wear red."

Bechtholdt is unsure when the letter first started circulating.

Yet with the campaign's growing popularity, Red Fridays have been found nationwide, spread via word of mouth and the Internet chain letter. The movement has been seen at several college campuses as well, including Colorado University and Indiana University.

"Some people misconstrue Red Friday as political, but it is definitely nonpartisan," Bechtholdt said. "We are contacting more organizations to make this campuswide. No matter what your political beliefs are, you can still support our troops."

Nona Ethington, president of the College Democrats, had not been contacted as of Thursday night, but expressed interest in the effort.

"If the College Republicans had contacted us, we would've been happy to make this a bipartisan issue," said Nona Ethington, president of the College Democrats.

Ethington said that the Democrats support the troops.

"(The College Democrats) obviously support the troops," Ethington said.

Oxford's chapter of Blue Star Mothers of America is also making an effort to show support for the troops serving overseas. The organization is a group of mothers whose children are serving in the military.

Marilyn Ballman, a member of the group, has a son who is scheduled to be deployed to Iraq in July. She is very excited about the idea of Red Friday.

"I feel very proud to be a part of Blue Star Mothers, and if it take me wearing a certain color to support our troops, then I will do so."

College Republicans started publicizing for Red Friday this week, after Bechtholdt came across the idea in December through an e-mail her father received.

So far, College Republicans have advertised Red Friday by passing out fliers to students and the leaders of all campus organizations, hoping that the groups will inform their members.

Since red is one of Miami's colors, Bechtholdt is confident that Red Friday will catch on across campus.

"Its so easy here at Miami to wear red because people wear Miami gear all the time, weather it's a shirt or a hair ribbon," Bechtholdt said. "Wearing red is a simple way to get a strong point across

especially since a lot of people don't support the war and administration, a lot of people support our troops."

Chairman of College Republicans, Rob Mecklenborg also thinks that the student population will respond to this incentive.

"I think it'll catch on very well, taking partisanship out," Mecklenborg said. "You don't have to agree with the war policy to show appreciation for armed forces fighting for our freedoms."