Students vote, express creativity to have DMB crash into Miami

The Dave Matthews Band will perform a free concert at the school with the most votes relative to the school's enrollment.  --www.cavalierdaily.com
The Dave Matthews Band will perform a free concert at the school with the most votes relative to the school's enrollment. --www.cavalierdaily.com

Branna Mulligan

The only space between Miami University and Dave Matthews Band (DMB) is apparently winning a contest.

Teaming with AT&T, Dave Matthews Band declared that they would be hosting a national contest for colleges to compete for a free DMB concert. As of Aug. 30, Miami students have responded to the contest that has sparked university rivalry across the country.

One hundred and twenty schools, including Ohio State University and the University of Connecticut, were invited to participate in the highly publicized competition. To win the concert, students can send DMB invitations through AT&T text messages or logging into AT&T's Blue Room. On the site, students are able to send creative photographs, videos, audio clips, or essays to the band. Open from Sept. 1 to Oct. 15, students can submit 50 votes a day. At the end of the competition, the school with the most invitations relative to the school's enrollment will receive a free concert as part of AT&T's World's Loudest Pep Rally.

Sophomore Joanne Sumner is a powerful force behind spreading the word about the competition on Miami's campus.

"I was on the Dave Matthews Band Web site and saw a thing about the competition and thought, 'Hmm, I have to get behind this,'" Sumner said.

Sumner then went to create two groups on Facebook.com. "Get DAVE MATTHEWS BAND to come play at Miami (Ohio) University" and "Contest for a Free Dave Matthews Band Concert at Miami!" have a combined membership of about 3,108 Miami students, each with the goal of bringing DMB to Oxford. The Facebook groups encourage students to vote the full 50 times they can through the essay component feature on Facebook.

In order to vote, students should visit www.attblueroom.com, create an account, and submit an invitation. Sumner advises members to copy and paste just one sentence begging the band to perform at Miami into 50 different essays.

DMB fan and Miami University junior J.J. Bernthold has been very active in submitting invitations to the Blue Room Web site.

"I started by voting the maximum 50 times a day," Bernthold said. "But, I found a way around that by setting up multiple e-mail addresses and am now voting over 300 times a day. It doesn't take long at all, maybe 20-25 minutes every day."

Other students are just as passionate as Bernthold, and eager to see DMB perform live.

"I want DMB to come to Miami because they're one of my favorite bands," said first-year Steven Pritchard. "I just think they're so talented. Also the concert would be free along with the biggest pep rally in the nation."

"I've been telling everyone about the competition," said fellow first-year Jessica Stein. "I think that if everyone votes, we will be sure to win."

As of Thursday, Sept. 13, Miami was ranked fifth, behind U.S. Military Academy, U.S. Air Force Academy, U.S. Naval Academy and Iowa State University. Sumner insists that Miami can still pull a first place by Oct. 15.

"I hope we win," she said. "I mean, if we can as many people as possible at least 50 times a day, I definitely think it's possible."

In order to spread the word, Sumner hopes to start spreading fliers and displaying posters. She has also had aspirations to send out a university wide e-mail detailing how to vote. Sumner also plans on working with Student Body President Jens Sutmöller and the rest of Miami's student government.

"We were contacted by Dave's promoter about a week ago, so we decided we had to seriously get involved in promoting this issue," Sutmöller said. "How cool would it be if Dave Matthews Band were to come?"

Like Sumner, ASG is also planning their marketing moves.

"We're going to make 11-by-17 inch posters as well as quarter sheet fliers to pass out around the hub," Sutmöller said. "Student government is going to pay for the actual printing, and campus activities is going to be in charge of designing them and passing them out."

On top of helping to win a free concert for their school, students can also submit creative invitations. The most creative invitation in each category will be awarded two free tickets and VIP passes to the concert, no matter what school it is held at. Creative entries are available for viewing on AT&T's Blue Room Web site.

Concert Board has already been at work preparing for the competition if Miami were to win. According to Concert Board co-chair Andrew DeRoberts, DMB would come the second or third week in November, probably before a football game. The concert would be held outside, therefore it would be open to all students and no one would be required to reserve tickets.

"I grew up with their music," DeRoberts said about his own personal hopes that Miami would win. "I've been to many concerts. The competition is a great idea and great promotion."

DeRoberts has emailed one of DMB's representatives, but has not heard back. However, DeRoberts still thinks Miami has a chance to win.

"We have a really good chance," he said. "Other schools are bigger in number, but we're still in the lead."

Vice President of Campus Activities Council Laura Walaszek said they too are preparing for the concert as if Miami won.

"(AT&T) contacted all the schools in the top five about how it would work logistically," Walaszek said. "They are booking the venue for that week because they wouldn't have time to do it if we waited until Oct. 15."

As far as marketing goals though, Walaszek said they just want to get students involved in the contest.

"Our goal is to make people aware that this is a legitimate operation, and get students involved and interested in it," Walaszek said.