Students need to revise habits to avoid swine flu

Miami University informed students Aug. 21 of the presence of swine flu on campus and suggested tips for healthful living and ways to avoid catching the H1N1 virus. Miami took the responsible action by e-mailing students to alert them of the virus and preventative measures, but students should keep these warnings in perspective. Students found having H1N1 have been treated by Student Health Services or by family doctors, and most were able to return to their normal class or work schedule within a week.

In college it is difficult to miss a week of class and not suffer from the stress of getting behind.

The editorial board of The Miami Student encourages students to realize this type of flu virus can be more easily spread and that being cautious is a simple way to prevent further infection. The H1N1 epidemic shows it is important for students to take care of themselves. College students aren't known for their healthful living habits. They stay up late, eat meals that can be heated in a microwave and live in close quarters far from the realm of what a mother could say is clean.

Rather than using preventative measures such as regular exercise or taking vitamins, college students have grown used to taking Advil for a stress headache or Nyquil to get sleep when they have a bad cold. But H1N1 doesn't have a quick fix to get students back on their feet in a few days.

The board believes students should work to find more preventative ways to stay healthy, not just take medicine once they have already gotten sick.

In addition to washing hands frequently, especially after using computers at the library, students can find ways to make their lives a little more hygienic. Washing the beer pong ball in a dirty water cup before throwing it doesn't make it clean. Instead, participants could fill the cups with water and take a sip out of drink they are holding if an opponent makes a shot. This way a dirty ball is not floating in the cups and multiple participants are not using the same cup.

The most important job for students is to attend classes and to make the most of their education. This can't be done if students don't take care of themselves. The H1N1 virus can serve as a lesson for all students to take the extra time and precautions to not only keep themselves healthy but to keep this virus from spreading.