Students go ape for IMS class

Amanda Seitz, Special Reports Editor

(CONTRIBUTED BY George Robinson)

To many, George Robinson may seem like your average Miami University sophomore.

But this semester, the Interactive Media Studies 201 class Robinson signed up for turned him into something else — a gorilla.

Robinson can be spotted prancing around in a gorilla outfit at various campus and uptown locations and interacting with fellow classmates on a YouTube video he shot for his IMS 201 class project. The video, titled, "Gorilla on the loose at Miami University," shows the "Miami Gorilla" playing broomball and at one point, even climbing a tree to emulate his jungle-habitat.

The gorilla can even be spotted carrying a student partaking in St. Patrick's Day festivities at Skipper's Pub.

"It was pretty fun and it surprised a lot of people," Robinson said of donning the costume. "Some people were even scared."

Robinson said the challenge for his IMS class was to create a video that would go viral.

His group members were just throwing out random ideas and were surprised when they found it was a fairly cheap option to rent a gorilla outfit from an online website.

Classmates in IMS 201 are competing for the most views on You Tube, said IMS 201 instructor Amy Thompson-Thornley.

"Video is becoming part of the primary way we disseminate information online," Thornley said. "A lot of companies are interested in viral video strategies."

In order to generate more views, Robinson and his group has created a Facebook, Twitter and e-mail account for the "Miami Gorilla."

Thornley said another video in a section of IMS 201 has nearly 6,000 hits. The students in that class, led by Andy Revelle, have a similar concept. The video, called "Dancing Bunny" shows a bunny dancing around campus and mixed reviews from passersby.

Although Robinson's gorilla costume has already been returned he said the Miami Gorilla wouldn't be opposed to making another appearance.

The You Tube video also insinuates that the Miami Gorilla may be looking for a mate.

"Be careful," the description reads. "He has also been trying to find a Miami Merger at Upham Arch."