Students explore global issues through new journal

Kaler Hazen, For The Miami Student

International issues and perspectives are coming to campus with the upcoming release of Miami University's first academic journal, Global Citizen. The new publication is the brainchild of Miami junior Winston Reid, and ultimately aims to solicit opinions and contributions from students around the world.

According to Miami sophomore and Global Citizen's editor in chief Alex Block, the journal's aim is to focus solely on undergraduates' perspectives on international issues, and several papers have already been submitted for publication. According to Block, the publication is still in its infancy, and the staff is sorting out details like which publisher should run the journal, what the website should look like, and what the guidelines should be for students who want to submit their work.

Block said the publication does not have any staff writers, and the publication is geared toward fostering discussion of international issues.

The length of the journal will be around 60 pages, and will include everything from essays written for classes, to works of fiction that focus on real international issues, according to Block.

"We want to touch on different cultures and non-governmental organizations," Block said. "We think it's important to understand how these things impact countries, cultures, and the way people around the world interact."

Global Citizen is tentatively scheduled to run two issues per year, one in the fall, and one in the spring. Due to the novelty of the project however, these details could change.

Patrick Haney is the interim chair of the political science department and faculty advisor to Global Citizen.

"These students have shown tremendous energy and initiative to launch this project," Haney said. "Many of the student leaders are from the political science department but they are from across campus and take seriously their role as 'global citizens.' This journal will provide an important outlet for the voices of undergraduate students from Miami and elsewhere".

Miami sophomore Brandon Villa said the idea of Global Citizen is an energizing one.

"It's very exciting," Villa said. "It's something that's definitely going to make our understanding of the world a lot better and help us expand our world view." Haney said, "I also think it's very important for students to see their peers creating something like this - it shows how our students see themselves as part of the flow of political life, not just as bystanders and observers of it."