Student musicians prep for Carnegie Hall

Billy Rafael, Arts & Entertainment Editor

Miami University's musical ensembles have been busy preparing for their upcoming debut at Carnegie Hall Oct. 7. As part of this preparation, they will be putting on a preview concert this week for public to get a glimpse of what they will be performing.

"The School of Creative Arts and Miami as a whole aspire to a very high level of excellence," James Lentini, Dean and Professor of Music, said. "It results in amazing opportunities like this, for our students to be able to perform in one of the most prestigious venues in the world. For many students this will be a once in a lifetime opportunity."

Members of the Chamber Singers, Men's Glee Club, Collegiate Chorale, Choraliers, Symphony Orchestra, Wind Ensemble and Jazz Ensemble will travel to New York City for the weekend to perform a showcase they are calling a "Miami University Musical Celebration!" Each ensemble will get a chance to perform individually, as well as collaborations between the singers and instrumentalists.

In preparation for this distinguished opportunity, a preview performance will be done in Miami's own Hall Auditorium, giving the campus and the community a chance to see how they will be representing their school. The concert will be split into two nights, allowing each group to perform a longer set than they will in New York in order to fill out each concert.

Lentini himself has also arranged a version of the Alma Mater for orchestra and chorus. It features several of the more popular verses as well as the recently crafted verse in the language of the native Myaamia tribe.

While in New York students will get a chance to explore the city, with many planning to attend a Broadway show, opera or symphony performance. Several students will also be performing at a local high school with admissions representatives from Miami present.

"We plan to use this as a recruitment event," Lentini said. "The students in these ensembles are not just music majors, they represent all different departments. That says a lot about Miami."

The "Miami University Musical Celebration!" Carnegie Hall Preview Concert Part I will take place 8 p.m. Friday, with Part II happening 8 p.m. Tuesday, both in Hall Auditorium. Admission is free and open to the public.