Strickland endorses Hillary Clinton

Erin Bowen

Ohio Governor Ted Strickland's endorsement of presidential candidate Sen. Hillary Clinton (D-N.Y.) Friday afternoon was just in time for him to accompany Clinton on her two-day campaign to Iowa.

While in Des Moines, Strickland and Clinton, along with other presidential hopefuls, attended the Jefferson-Jackson Day Dinner, an annual fund-raising event held by local Democratic chapters. Clinton's stint in Iowa precedes the state's leadoff caucus Jan. 3.

The endorsement was announced to the media through a conference call involving both Clinton and Strickland Nov. 9.

"The road to the White House goes through Ohio," Clinton said during the conference.

Also during the conference, Strickland explained his endorsement and Ohio's role in the election process.

"I understand the importance of Ohio in the equation," Strickland said. "I'm doing this out of a deeply felt conviction for her skill, experience, courage and strength. I would not make this endorsement if I didn't feel she was the strongest and best candidate."

According to Clyde Brown, political science professor of Miami University, endorsements by elected or prominent politicians such as Strickland are not unusual. Brown gave the examples of Sen. Evan Byah (D-Ind.) and former vice president Walter Mondale who have also endorsed Clinton.

"Political interest groups and labor unions endorse presidential candidates in advance of the Iowa caucuses and New Hampshire primary," Brown said. "John Edwards has picked up important endorsements from labor groups. Even a celebrity like Oprah Winfrey has endorsed a candidate, Barack Obama."

The effects of Strickland's endorsement, however, are limited, said Ryan Barilleaux, professor and chair of the department of political science.

"I don't think that Gov. Strickland's endorsement makes much of a difference and it is getting more attention than it deserves," Barilleaux said. "Sen. Clinton is ahead of her nearest challenger (Obama) by 23 points in national polls, so she neither needs Gov. Strickland's endorsement nor will it make much difference to the outcome of the nomination race."

Brown agreed that the endorsement would not provide much help for Clinton.

"Its impact will be greatest in Ohio, but it is almost certain that the Democratic presidential nominee will be determined long in advance of Ohio's primary election in March 2008," Brown said.

Barilleaux added that 75 percent of the delegates will have already been chosen by the time the Democratic primary race reaches Ohio.

"There is neither any risk to Gov. Strickland in making this endorsement, or any real benefit to Sen. Clinton," Barilleaux said.

Aaron Turner, president of the Miami University College Democrats, said the governor's endorsement reflects Clinton's position as a centrist.

"Gov. Strickland represents a moderate Democrat whose message allowed him to appeal to many moderate Republicans which carried him to a landslide victory in a historically Republican dominated state," Turner said. "The fact that she is being backed by a very popular moderate, staunch anti-war, Baptist pastor is a good indicator that she is well on her way."

From the College Republicans, Co-Chairman Jonathan McNabb responded to Strickland's endorsement.

"Gov. Strickland's endorsement of Sen. Clinton tells me that he is being politically practical," McNabb said. "He realized that Sen. Clinton will in all likelihood be the presidential nominee for the Democratic Party and that he has much to gain from providing the nominee with as much support as he can."

Strickland's endorsement announcement has raised some talk of potentially becoming Clinton's running mate.

"Strickland is a possible vice president candidate for Hillary and some other Democratic presidential candidates," Brown said. "Ohio is likely to be the most important swing state in 2008 and national and state Democrats want to win the state."

While Brown said Strickland would provide regional and ideological balance to Clinton's ticket, Strickland has profusely denied the claims.

"It would be presumptuous of me to think I would be considered. I love being the governor of Ohio," Strickland said in the conference call Nov. 9.

Strickland's press secretary, Keith Dailey, who was unable to comment on the governor's non-governmental political activities, also put down vice president speculation.

"The governor has been in office less than a year and he's committed to continuing his efforts to move the state forward," Dailey said. "He has no interest in being on a national ticket, and he will finish his political career as governor of Ohio."

With the race for a Democratic candidate continuing, Alexandra Newman, treasurer for the College Democrats, expressed anticipation.

"I think it's a very exciting time to be a Democrat in this country," Newman said. "All three of the main candidates pushing for the Democratic nomination-(Clinton, Obama, Edwards)-bring very diverse and interesting experiences and points of view to the campaign."

Clinton continued her campaign Thursday at a University of Nevada debate in Las Vegas that, including Democratic hopefuls Joe Biden, Chris Dodd, Mike Gravel, Dennis Kucinich, John Edwards, Barack Obama and Brill Richardson. Clinton will then join with Edwards Saturday to discuss global warming in a forum in Los Angeles.