Step up to stamp out hateful rhetoric

David Morgan, morgand6@muohio.edu

Ironically, the most sobering events of one's college experience can happen at a bar on a Friday night. Unfortunately, at the most recent drag show students were the target of hateful speech and physical attacks. Specifically, an individual repeatedly said, "Faggots do not belong in society," according to an anonymous source (for reasons of emotional distress). The verbal altercation reportedly escalated into a physical fight, with students ending up in the hospital.

It is both saddening and disturbing to hear such things happen in Oxford. Yet, it did happen, and thus, the Miami University community must do what it can to make sure it doesn't happen again.

First, I'm angry; belligerent even. I'm angry about the dialogue and its orators. I'm angry students ended up in a hospital for such abhorring circumstances.

It's my opinion that everything concerning the gay rights movement comes down to one fundamental issue: making the world a better place for our children. It's certainly a platitude but an effective and logical one. If you're not a member of the LGBTQ community or aren't close to someone who is, then you may see no vested interest in creating a more accepting world.

But imagine this … not that you are gay and experiencing hate, but that your own son or daughter is. My heart goes out to the victims but it goes out to their parents as well. Imagine finding out your child was told they shouldn't be a member of society because of who they are and were then physically assaulted. What's more, imagine that happening weekly to your eleven-year-old.

This affects everyone. Our goal is to prevent it in the future. I call on everyone to take simple, everyday action.

It comes down to dialogue. When you hear others, even your good friends, say offensive things, call them out and tell them it's not okay. That applies beyond language geared against LGBTQ individuals. Engage people who flippantly use the n-word or the r-word. It's awkward, but it outweighs the consequences of inaction. Contextualize it. Tell them about your gay friend and their experiences with being harassed with the same rhetoric. If you don't know anyone, then tie it back to that person like I said before. Imagine if your child was gay and you heard someone say to them, "faggots do not belong in society."