State park under new management

Morgan Schaffer, For The Miami Student

Hueston Woods, a well-known state park located in Butler and Preble counties, will soon be under new management. The current management company, Xanterra Parks and Resorts Inc., will be replaced Feb. 7. The change in management will be accompanied by renovations.

Jim Henahan, spokesman for Ohio state parks, discussed the recent change in management.

"There was a bidding process. It was competitive, and the new company offered a better, stronger bid," Henahan said. Xanterra's bid to continue managing the park was rejected by the Ohio Department of Job and Family services.

Tom Biegler, president of the U.S. Hotel and Resort Management Inc., the company taking over the lodge, said his company was eager to acquire Hueston Woods.

"The contracts get rebid every 10 years. We just had a strong interest of getting in there," Biegler said. "Whatever we bid must have been more lucrative to the state then our predecessor. Part of the process has to do with the amount of money you are willing to put into the parks. We have committed millions of dollars to the two parks."

A major concern for Hueston Woods is what will happen to the people who currently have jobs at the lodge. Henahan and Biegler both discussed the issue of losing jobs. It turns out there will be a positive outcome for the employees at the lodge.

"They have offered jobs to all the former employees so no jobs will be lost," Henahan said.

"There was an indication based on miscommunication that their jobs would be lost but no jobs will be lost at all," Biegler said.

With new management comes change. U.S. Hotel and Resort Management Inc. is planning to make several renovations to the lodge and rooms at the park.

"A lot of the general things that were deferred will be addressed, mostly guest impact areas," Biegler said. "The entire guest rooms will be completely redone. It is going to be gorgeous. We are really excited. In six months, you won't even recognize the place."

The changes are targeted to be finished before one of the busiest weekends for the park, Miami graduation in May.

"We are going to try to get them started prior to the peak season this year but we don't want to misplace customers during the busiest season," Biegler said.

Miami University junior Courtney Carothers has been to Hueston Woods and her family is also acquainted with it. She said the rooms were somewhat outdated, but there was a sense of familiarity.

"While it is unfortunate that the history of the rooms will be replaced, it is a welcomed renovation," Carothers said.

Aside from Hueston Woods, U.S. Hotel and Resort Management Inc. will also be taking over the lodge and the golf course at Shawnee State Park, according to Biegler. Shawnee State Park is located in Portsmouth, Ohio.