State may cut special elections

Sam Kay

Ohio Secretary of State Jennifer Brunner submitted a report to the governor and Ohio General Assembly last week detailing numerous proposed changes to how elections are conducted in Ohio.

According to Brunner spokesperson Kevin Kidder, some of the main proposals include eliminating the use of special elections, streamlining voter ID laws, changing early voting practices and allowing the use of vote by mail in vacancy in office special elections.

Based on the costs of last year's special elections, the move could save between $2.7 million and $5.4 million each year, Kidder said.

"The ultimate goal is to make sure that everyone who is qualified to vote can vote and have their voice heard, to make the process here in Ohio smooth and successful," Kidder said.

Kidder said moving special elections to primary and general election days would decrease financial and logistical burdens on county boards of elections, as well as "voter fatigue." He said more people will vote on special election issues if they are moved, because turnout for primary and general elections has been historically much higher than turnout for special elections.

"More people will see these things on the ballot," Kidder said.

The report came out of a summit and a conference convened by Brunner in December and March, respectively.

"The December 2008 summit examined what went well (in the November elections) and what can be improved," Kidder said. "It was followed up in March by the Ohio Elections Conference, which was more in depth, and involved elected officials from both parties as well as voting rights advocates."

Amanda Wurst, spokesperson for Gov. Ted Strickland, said the governor supports Brunner's request.

"(The governor) applauds Brunner's effort to hold a bipartisan summit and looks forward to reviewing the conference report," Wurst said.

According to Kidder, the main proposals include:

Expanding the number of early voting locations from one to four per county, while reducing the number of days for early voting from the current 35 days to 20 days before the election.

Modifying the "wrong precinct" rule to allow any ballot cast to be "re-made" and counted, meaning the top part of ballots of voters voting in the wrong precinct could still be counted.

Allowing boards of elections to hold elections by mail to hold vacancy in office special elections.

Decreasing the number of reasons a voter would be required to cast a provisional ballot.

Kidder said Brunner would like to see the governor and legislature act on her proposals as soon as possible.

"We certainly hope that they will swiftly enact these recommendations, giving county boards of election plenty of time to prepare for general elections," Kidder said.