Sports writers discuss athlete-fan relationship

Mary Kate Linehan

The Lecture Series Committee hosted the discussion "Professional Sports: Are Fans the Losers?" which featured sports journalist Selena Roberts and sports agent Drew Rosenhaus Monday evening in Hall Auditorium.

"We're here to discuss the relationship between the fans and the athletes and whether or not that relationship exists anymore," Rosenhaus said.

The two speakers come from a substantial background in sports entertainment and news. Roberts is a Sports Illustrated senior writer in 2008 and the author of A-Rod: The Many Lives of Alex Rodriguez, while Rosenhaus is a sports agent who covers 118 football athletes and is a well-known author and national commentator.

The two took opposing sides of the lecture topic question of whether or not fans are the losers in professionalsports. Roberts said fans break down into two categories.

"Those who see sports as all those sort of spiritual kind of activities, it's a religion to them," Roberts said. "And then there are fans that see sports as a diversion or as an entertainment vehicle."

Following her theory, Roberts explained her first interview with NASCAR driver Dale Earnhardt and connected the fact that fans cried when he died and that his number still adorns racetracks across the nation.

This, Roberts said, was a real connection between the fans and the athlete.

However, Roberts does not believe that connection exists anymore.

"Part of the issue the people have today with athletes is that there is such a disconnect between athletes and the fans, that when something goes really wrong, it goes really wrong, because there's not much margin for error for athletes," Roberts said. "The money is so big, the business is so great, that I don't know if people can connect with them like they have in the past."

Rosenhaus, on the other hand, stressed the hard work and dedication his clients have to their fans.

Rosenhaus referenced his client, Chad Ochocinco, wide receiver for the Cincinnati Bengals, and how dedicated Ochocinco is to his fans.

"Chad is really all about his fans," Rosenhaus said. "On Monday Night Football he is going to games to watch other teams, he is sitting in the stands, he has a Twitter account, where he is constantly updating fans. Chad, in my opinion, not because he is my client or my friend, but he is the kind of guy who loves the fans, loves the sport, loves the game, works hard, plays injured and I hope he is the type of athlete that all of you can love."

Rosenhaus also stressed how hard the life of NFL player can be. He said the players play a brutal sport, have concussion issues, psychological problems and injuries, but they are out working for their salaries. He said fans should know this and appreciate the athletes' hard work.

"Please don't feel disconnected, they are out there working their tail off to entertain you," Rosenhaus said. "And by the way, they appreciate you. Because at the end of the day, you pay their salaries."

According to Rosenhaus, fans connect with athletes by attending sports events and by participating in the production of each sport. He specifically mentioned the NFL as a great product.

"It's you who go to the games, pay for the advertising, watch the games on TV, buy the merchandise - that goes to the owners and the owners pay the players," Rosenhaus said. "The players know that you are the customers. They do care about the fans."

In the question and answer by the audience following the discussion, an audience member asked the speakers to give a straighter "yes" or "no" answer to the discussion question "Are the fans the losers?"

The end result: Roberts answered, "yes," while Rosenhaus answered "no."