Sports briefs: Feb. 12

D3516, Hockey vs Providence
D3516, Hockey vs Providence

Melnick named NCHC Rookie of the Week

After netting two goals against No. 3 St. Cloud State University last weekend, Miami freshman forward Josh Melnick was named the National Collegiate Hockey Conference's Rookie of the Week. It is the first time Melnick has won the award.

He netted Miami's first goal in both games as the RedHawks split their weekend series with the Huskies. Both of his tallies tied the score, and his goal on Saturday started a three-goal outburst in the second period of its 3-2 victory.

Melnick ranks second on the team this season with 18 points (eight goals, 10 assists).

Kathie Wollney breaks Miami track record

At the Meyo Invitational last Friday in South Bend, Ind., senior Kathie Wollney broke the Miami University track and field record for the 600-meter run. She finished ninth overall in the event with a 1:32.9 time. The previous record had been held by Charlotte Myers, who ran a 1:34.9 in 2013.

Wollney also competed in 4x400m action Saturday at the Meyo. Her team of sophomores Morgan Rice and Megan Beaver and freshman Kalliopi Kountouri posted a 3:49.5 time for 17th place, their best time of the season.

Softball picked to win MAC East

After placing third overall last season, the Miami University softball team was picked to win the Mid-American Conference East Division in the coaches' poll Wednesday.

The RedHawks were the overall pick to win the division despite receiving fewer first place votes (3) than Ohio (4) and Kent State (4). Central Michigan was picked to win the MAC West Division with seven first place votes.

The coaches did not come to a consensus for the winners of the overall regular season title or the MAC Tournament, as six different schools were picked to win the regular season and seven different schools were picked to win the MAC Tournament. Miami did not receive any votes in either of those polls.

The softball season begins Feb. 19 when MU travels to Atlanta for the Panther Classic.