Sports briefs

Baseball sweeps opponent for first time in nearly two years

Miami baseball swept Bowling Green State University in a three-game series over the weekend. It is MU's first series sweep since May 15-17, 2014. In Saturday's matchup, Miami cruised to a 5-1 victory behind sophomore right-handed pitcher Gus Graham, who pitched 6.2 innings, allowing zero runs and four hits. In game one of Sunday's doubleheader, the RedHawks grabbed an early 6-0 lead. The Falcons had a late surge, but Miami won 7-5. The second game of the doubleheader went to extra innings. In the bottom of the 12th, senior outfielder Jake Romano gave Miami the 4-3 victory with a walk-off sacrifice fly.

Flavin claims third trophy of season

Sophomore Patrick Flavin won his third individual title of the season and second in a row Sunday at the Hoosier Collegiate in Columbus, Ind. He shot rounds of 72 and 68 to finish at four-under par for the event. It is his fifth top-15 performance of the season and fourth in a row. The Miami golf team earned its first team title of the season, tying with No. 33 Purdue University. Both teams finished even at two-over par.

Synchronized skating places ninth at Worlds

The Miami University senior synchronized skating team finished ninth out of 26 teams at the ISU World Championships last weekend. Twenty-one countries were represented, and the RedHawks were one of two teams representing the United States. Miami recorded a combined score of 175.00. Team Russia 1 won the event with a 212.69 score, Team Finland 2 placed second with a 207.84 score, and Team USA 1 (the Haydenettes) finished third with a 206.95 score.