Speakers to address health care reform

Amelia Carpenter

The national spotlight has been on health care reform this fall, but two speakers will bring the discussion to Miami University's Oxford campus this week.

Melissa Thomasson, associate professor of economics at Miami, will speak about the health care crisis at 5:30 p.m. Tuesday in the Shriver Center Heritage Room, while Miami alumnus and White House health policy veteran Christopher Jennings will give a speech and receive an award at 7 p.m. Thursday at the Marcum Center.

"The topic is understanding why some people think it's a crisis, health care costs, who's covered by insurance, who doesn't have insurance ... various reform proposals and how they aim to address these issues," Thomasson said.

Rob Balfour, pre-health adviser and assistant director of the Mallory Center, one of the sponsors of the event along with Miami MED, asked Thomasson to share her knowledge.

Thomasson has been a member of the National Bureau of Economic Research, a non-profit independent economics research organization, since 1999. She explained now is an important time to understand the "health care crisis."

"It's a time where lots of people don't have insurance, health care costs are rising, health insurance premiums are rising," Thomasson said. "It's important for students, not just (the) medical (community), to be aware of what's happening."

Thomasson said the information she plans to discuss would be important for students to know once they're out of school and on their own. For medical students, Thomasson will address how health care costs impact physicians and the role of physicians and health care costs.

"Health insurance coverage is important," Thomasson said. "Lack of medical expenses is the leading cause of bankruptcy in the U.S. Don't assume that you don't need insurance."

Jennings is being honored with the Cottrell Award from Miami's Scripps Gerontology Center (SGC).

Bill Ciferri, associate director of SGC, said the Cottrell award is given to Miami graduates who have distinguished themselves in the field of aging. For three years, the award winners have given a lecture. Previous winners include Ann Gillespie, Jan Monahue and Bob Ashley.

Jennings, president of Jennings Policy Strategies (JPS), said he would address the political status of the health care reform debate with a particular focus on seniors.

Jennings said a large focus would be on the historical aspect of recent health care reform.

"President after president has tried to take on this issue," Jennings said. "Everyone has tried but failed. This is the closest we've come ... we will probably know the answer to the question if success will occur in within the next two months."

Jennings agreed it is critical for Miami students to arm themselves with knowledge before leaving school and living on their own.

"It's critical because (it is) difficult to find jobs, and jobs with health care," Jennings said.

Jennings explained his concern with the past and current healthcare system.

"The reality is our health care system is extraordinarily inefficient," Jennings said.

He said the main problem is not that we don't cover everyone, but the cost shifting from insured to uninsured, the lack of willingness for insurers to invest in wellness programs, and employers not wanting to provide programs for in and out of insurance status. He added insurers have every incentive to stay away from sick populations, mainly seniors, because they are more costly.

"I think to make the system work ... (we need to be) much more focused on avoiding illness, but focus on wellness and health," Jennings said. "We have to find a way to get all people in the system, and everyone focuses on that individual responsibility."

Jennings said the U.S. is facing a huge economic challenge and in the last year, the focus has been diverted to health care.

"You really can't deal with the national challenge of health care cost if you don't find a way to integrate coverage debate and be very aggressive on creative ways to alter how we deliver and pay for health care," Jennings said.