Speaker to address issues with No Child Left Behind

Lauren Kreiser

In the upcoming election, issues such as the war in Iraq, immigration and healthcare have taken center stage. But what about the state of American education-has the No Child Left Behind (NCLB) Act made us smarter, or caused us to fall behind?

George H. Wood, executive director for the Forum for Education and Democracy, will address the failures of the No Child Left Behind Act in a free lecture at 4:30 p.m. Feb. 21 in 115 Shideler Hall.

"He has been concerned about issues involving education and democracy for decades; he is a pronounced figure in this field," said Kate Rousmaniere, chair and professor of the department of educational leadership.

According to the forum's official Web site, the Forum for Education and Democracy pledges to promote public education-one characterized by strong schools, equity of educational resources and supported by an involved citizenry.

The forum is based in Athens, Ohio, and works to support projects and publications that promote democracy in education.

Wood also serves as a principal at Federal Hocking High School and Middle School, widening his experience in the field of education. He has also co-authored a book on the subject of NCLB, titled Many Children Left Behind: How the No Child Left Behind Act Is Damaging Our Children and Our Schools.

NCLB was signed into law in January 2002. It is an unfunded mandate that aims to increase the quality of American primary and secondary education by raising standards for the hiring of teachers, enforcing standards in proficiency testing and allowing parents more choice in the school they send their child too.

"It was signed in Hamilton, Ohio, so it has direct proximity and (also) ties to the theme of Goals for the Millennium," said Mary Jane Berman, director of the Center for American and World Cultures, referring to the center's lecture series, Goals for the Millennium, as part of which Wood was invited to speak.

"He believes that No Child Left Behind really leaves children behind ... and there are other models that can be used to provide comprehensive education," Berman said.

Wood will present alternative measures to increase the quality of American education in his lecture, according to Berman.

NCLB continues to be a source of controversy that impacts students, parents and educators.

"Everybody needs to be aware of what kind of job our educational system is doing ... It is important that people are literate and knowledgeable about our education system,"Berman said.

Berman also pointed out that Miami University students fund the public education system through taxes and make important decisions regarding education now and in the future through voting.

"No Child Left Behind will become a key issue in the upcoming election," Rousmaniere said.

All the presidential candidates have taken a position on the issue and stated their intentions for the future of the act. A survey of the candidates' official Web sites reveal that Democratic hopefuls Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton and Republican front-runner John McCain all intend to repeal the NCLB, with each candidate having their own ideas for further educational reform.