Soccer 'Hawks kick off season with momentum

Alex Butler, Senior Staff Writer

Typically, teams like Bobby Kramig's RedHawks know who they will face on the soccer pitch one or two years in advance. With budget restraints and a Mid-American Conference (MAC) schedule conflict, the Miami University women's soccer team scribbled down Alabama A&M University this spring. The Bulldogs will be the first team in 2010 to face the Red and White in Oxford on August 20.

"It is what it is," Kramig said. "It's a tough situation all the way around for the university in general but we are dealing with it. You look to try and prepare and be forward looking. We were prepared for it and this is the adjustment we had to make."

The Bulldogs finished with a 2-16 record last season compared to the RedHawks' 12-8-1 mark.

"Preseason is very important," senior Julie Thompson said. "I don't think winning will be much of a problem if we work together."

Working together will need to be a strength for this year's RedHawks if they want to rise the MAC ranks.

"We have a good group of senior leaders coming back," Kramig said. "We return our back line in tact. Sara Lund is always a threat up front. I'm excited to see what our new comers can bring to it. It's going to be a fun team and a fun season."

Senior defender Brooke Livingston will anchor the back line. The First-Team All-MAC score stopper helped RedHawk keepers register eight clean sheets.

Sara Lund led the team with eight goals last season, a stat that good for second in the MAC. Part of the attack will include the outside midfielder Thompson, who scored four goals last season. The senior will also be called on to help lead the large freshmen class by example.

"We want to win the MAC Championship," Thompson said. "Just because we have new kids coming in doesn't mean we need to drop the level of play. The seniors need to help each other and the freshmen. It's important that we welcome them and get them feeling close to the team and camaraderie is really important."

Even with seniors anchoring both sides of the ball, Kramig needs all of the upperclassmen to help the new blood mesh quickly.

"There will be challenges like there always are," Kramig said. "We are probably going to have to do a lot more teaching this year than last year because we had such a veteran team last year. A little more teaching and patience and our seniors need to be good leaders to get things going."

After their veteran goalkeeper walked out of goal and to her diploma in 2009 the competition is heating up for a new red light between the pipes with five potential candidates vying for the job including Clemson transfer Kris Gasparovic.

"Rachelle (Boff) is the only returner and we have a transfer and three freshman," Kramig said. "We haven't seen these new kids play very much. It's pretty wide open. I wouldn't want to have to guess who is going to be the starter for us. It's going to be a very competitive situation. Whoever performs and produces will get the playing time."

New goalkeeper guru Erik Lewis will serve as keeper coach.

"There is always an argument that says the goalkeeper is the most important player on the team," Kramig said. "They can't afford to have bad games they have to be on all the time. Erik is a good coach and very talented. He knows his business and I'm very confident that whoever is our goalkeeper will be very prepared."

A dynamic attack will be a sight to see in 2010 Kramig added. 

"I feel like we play an exciting brand of soccer," Kramig said. "We like to attack and hopefully we can win a few games early on and generate some excitement. It's always more fun to play in front of your home crowd especially if they are more vocal and giving the other team a hard time. All the athletes work equally hard, are equally committed and are deserving of equal support from the RedHawk faithful."