Serving it up special

Erin Bowen

It's everywhere. The demonization of carbohydrates and the glorification of salad. Calorie counting and protein shakes, fat free desserts and organic options.

It's a culture obsessed with nutrition. With trans fat and food recalls becoming newsworthy topics, suddenly nutrition facts and ingredients have become much more than just fine print on a label. A healthy lifestyle traces back to what is put into the body-something Miami University students both need and deserve to know.

"It's a different world today," said Nancy Heidtman, director of Miami's dining and culinary support services. "It's my 13th year at Miami, and I've never seen such an emphasis on providing nutritional information to customers."

Better serving the students is one reason Miami recently added dietician Fran Kazimierczuk to the culinary support staff, which already runs an extensive operation.

The heart of Miami nutrition lies within the Demske Culinary Support Center, the planning and production site for on-campus dining. According to Jennifer Williams, manager of culinary services, the Culinary Support Center is a self-operated, not-for-profit organization that is separate from the university. Receiving no state funding, the Culinary Support Center acquires revenue through meal plans, food services at Miami's conference centers, and residence hall markets.

"Each year we balance at zero and put money back into our sites such as Shriver, Carillon Catering and student dining halls," Williams said. "We are the behind-the-scenes people."

According to Williams, Miami's dining services take a centralized, self-branded approach that allows for more freedom and focus on customer service. The Culinary Support Center has 28 self-branded menu options, which include Miami Traditions, Uncle Phil's Deli and Wok! This Way.

"Since we own our own brands, we can write our own food specifications for things such as ground beef," Heidtman said. "If we worked with McDonald's, we would have to abide by their specifications which may not be as selective as we'd like."

In addition to allowing more control of menu options, the centralization of the Culinary Support Center is a cost effective method. According to Heidtman, more than 1 million pounds of produce were purchased last year, with cost reduced from bulk purchasing and delivery. Paula Green, associate director for dining and culinary support services, said the Culinary Support Center has more than 5,800 original recipes that are featured throughout campus with 11 campus chefs working to prepare these options and develop more.

While some universities operate with independent dining halls, Williams said most large universities-such as Ohio University, the University of Notre Dame, Harvard University, and the College of William and Mary-share a similar method of dining hall planning and production.

Nutrition-minded Miami

The Culinary Support Center launched its initial efforts in 1992 to make nutritional information readily available to students, according to Green. Today, nutritional information and pie charts for most foods are on display in dining halls and online at the university dining service Web site.

The newest addition to Miami nutrition is registered dietician Fran Kazimierczuk, who joined the staff at the Culinary Support Center in mid-July. A registered dietician, certified athletic trainer, and kickboxing instructor, among other credentials, Kazimierczuk came to Miami from Northern Kentucky University where she worked in the department of biological sciences.

She plans to use her mind at Miami to put nutrition on ours.

Kazimierczuk said she intends to expand Miami's dietary options and provide students with more access to nutritional information. Some of Kazimierczuk's ideas include a "Dietician's Corner," featuring nutritional question and answer sessions on the Culinary Support Center Web site. Additionally, she hopes to create a nutrition newsletter to discuss current nutritional topics or expand students' range of the diverse dietary options available.

"I want to provide students with the information, so that they can make their own decisions about eating," Kazimierczuk said.

On-campus healthy choices at Miami are prevalent and scattered throughout all dining locations according to Kazimierczuk. Homemade bread and soups are made without preservatives; canola oil, the lowest in saturated fat of all vegetable cooking oils, is used; and an increased selection of whole grain and whole wheat products are available. Frozen soft serve yogurt is fat-free, along low-cal and fat-free salad dressings, mayonnaise and trans fat-free deep-frying oil.

Meeting the needs of students

Another facet of Miami nutrition is the task of accommodating for special dietary needs.

Clare Robertson, a Miami University senior, has been a vegetarian for three years. Recently, Robertson discovered she had an allergy to wheat gluten. Although a vegetarian program is in place at Alexander and Hamilton dining halls, Robertson described her search for satisfying vegetarian options at the dining halls as disappointing.

While living on campus, Robertson said she depended on the salad bar and macaroni and cheese as her dietary staples.

"It's hard to rely on the vegetarian options because most are overcooked or lack flavor," Robertson said.

Robertson said she frequented Bell Tower because she could order meals to her specific taste.

"I'd love to see veggie burgers available on a regular basis," Robertson said.

Miami University junior Sara Werst expressed similar views on the accessibility of finding desirable menu options while meeting her dietary needs. Werst, who has celiac disease and must eat a gluten-free diet, said she struggled to find meals on campus.

"The markets and delis do not provide gluten-free snacks or sandwiches," Werst said.

For situations such as Werst's, the Culinary Support Center offers services to assist students with allergies and help design a menu plan. Kazimierczuk said she is currently working with 69 students with special diets.

"The things we do for students with special needs are unheard of at other universities," Heidtman said. "We talk with students to help them know what they should be eating and then steer them in the right direction."

Still, Werst feels the Culinary Support Center could be more vocal about their efforts to accommodate those with food allergies.

"Personally, I think Miami could do a better job at making these options known on campus," Werst said. "They could offer gluten-free foods in the markets and advertise about celiac and ways that others on campus with the same disease can help each other."

Suggestions such as Werst's can be directed to the Culinary Support Center through Miami Expression comment cards, available at all dining locations.

Responding to comments and suggestions is what keeps the Culinary Support Center in tune with the students. According to Green, the Culinary Support Center reviewed more than 30,000 Miami Expressions comment cards.

"These comment cards keep us focused on what students need, want and how we can make improvements," Green said.

Green said that a November 2006 survey emailed to 6,500 on-campus students returned with a 96 percent satisfaction rate.

"We want students to know why we have so many nutritional options, where they are available, and provide them with nutritional tips so students can incorporate healthy choices in their lifestyle," Heidtman said.

Culinary competition

According to Heidtman, in the past three years Miami University's food service received 23 awards in national dining competitions with 13 first place awards, more than any other university in North America.

In 2007, Miami won the Loyal E. Horton Dining Award from the National Association of College and University Food Services in two categories, in both single stand-alone concept and m ultiple concepts. Reviewed by six judges who travel to dining halls across the country, Miami was judged on sample menus, recipes, food production, specialty promotions and nutritional awareness.

Food Service Director Magazine named Miami eighth in production among large universities in 2005, behind schools such as Michigan State University, the University of Pennsylvania and Harvard University.

Of these award-winning universities, the University of Pennsylvania boasts easy access nutritional kiosks on digital screens, a staff nutritionist, multiple vegetarian and vegan food stations, a nutritional newsletter and a dining hall entirely devoted to kosher foods.

Michigan State University combines vegetarian and vegan options with signature brands and diverse menus such as Latitudes, an ethnic food station featuring Asian, Thai, Middle Eastern, Cuban and Southwestern cuisine.

Harvard University developed the Harvard University Food Literacy program to examine food and society, from the viewpoints of agriculture, nutrition, food preparation and community. The Food Literacy program works to inform students about food choices and discuss current issues such as trans fat awareness and portion control.

As for Miami, it seems it will continue to stay on top, using its infrastructure and staff to provide culinary services that attempt to keep students well fed and also well informed.