Semester marks new technology phase for Inklings

Lauren Kiggins, For The Miami Student

In an era of smartphones, Kindles and Facebook, paper publishers often find the need to "keep up" and add new forums to reach readers.

Inklings, Miami University's leading undergraduate art magazine, is doing exactly that with the renovation of its website and the creation of a Twitter account.

"Our online presence needed to be changed, it's now moving in the right direction," Max Bruno, editor in chief of Inklings, said.

To create the new site, Inklings hired a professional web designer who has contributed to the websites of Cedar Point and Kings Island.

Once completed, each issue of Inklings will be available both in print and online.

Each submission online will then be searchable by name, title or genre.

"The website will give us more legitimacy," Bruno said.

Twitter, however, will be used to instantaneously announce accepted submissions as well as post updates.

Each semester, Inklings fills 100 pages with creative writing submissions by Miami's own students.

All submissions are anonymous when reviewed by Inklings staff.

"I love discussing the pieces; it's a challenge and a joy," Bruno said. "They're done by such remarkable people."

But not all pieces make the cut.

"Selecting the works [to be published] is difficult because sometimes people that submit are my friends or classmates, and we have to reject their pieces," writing director Traci Kim said.

Inklings is revamping in other ways as well.

Through Kim, Inklings is hosting a three-day workshop with author Lauryn Allison Lewis. Within the three-day span, Lewis will be speaking and working with students to improve their literary work.

Inklings is kicking off this semester with a release party for the upcoming issue of their magazine.

The party will take place following a reading of the magazine 9 p.m. Thursday at Western Lodge.

"We're not just excited about literature, but words," Kim said.

All work needs to be submitted by March 12 to writing director Traci Kim (kimta@muohio.edu) or art director Julie Kowalski (julia.e.kowalski@ gmail.com).