'Search for superstar' takes shape as local contestants gear up for 1st Oxford Idol

Paige Sims

Move over Simon Cowell - it's time for Oxford Idol.

The Miami Performing Arts Series, Miami-Talawanda Partnership and Kramer Elementary Parent Teacher Group are coming together Saturday, Jan. 27 to present Oxford Idol, a community talent and variety show, to the Oxford and Miami University communities.

The event will include performances by several groups including Miami's own a cappella groups The Remnants and The Cheezies, as well as appearances from Miami President David Hodge and Oxford Mayor Jerome Conley.

According to Chris Adryan, the event's coordinator, the goal of Oxford Idol is to bring Miami students together with Oxford residents in a constructive manner.

In addition to giving Miami students and the opportunity to work with members of the Oxford community, profits from ticket sales will go toward student programs at Kramer Elementary School in Oxford.

"It will fund and support college kids being around school kids (in hopes of) forming the concept of a stronger community," Adryan said.

In order to help to facilitate these new community bonds, Oxford Idol's participants will range in ages from 5 to 85; performances will range from tap dancing to opera pieces.

"Because of the diversity of the acts and performers, there is something for everyone, which gives us another opportunity to work together," Adryan said.

Because of the disparity in the ages and acts, as well as the ties between Miami and the local Oxford community, Adryan hopes that the event will sell out. Depending on the success of Oxford Idol, Adryan also said he hopes to repeat the event every other year.

Adryan first came up with the idea of Oxford Idol while vacationing in a small town in Michigan. Upon seeing a similar show there, Adryan began to form the initial plans for the community talent show.

In order to continue to build up the community support, Adryan has been working in conjunction with several Oxford-oriented groups such as the Miami-Talawanda Partnership.

According to the Miami-Talawanda Partnership director Tom Poetter, the organization shares Adryan's goal of uniting students and community members.

"The Miami-Talawanda Partnership is an organization that connects Miami University to the rest of the Oxford community schools in an attempt to extend the reach of educational resources and work together to strengthen the community at large," Poetter said.

Poetter said he hopes that Oxford Idol will bring Miami students and Oxford locals together by giving them the opportunity to "highlight the arts in the community."

Oxford Idol will be held from 7-9 p.m. Jan. 27, in Miami's Hall Auditorium. Tickets are $5 for adults and $3 for children younger than 5 years old. Ticket will be available at the door starting at 6 p.m. the evening of the show, at Kramer Elementary School, the Shriver Box Office and online at www.muohio.edu/boxoffice. For more information please contact

Chris@dreamhouseagent.com.