Russian media experts to visit Miami

Megan Milstead

In an effort to elucidate the dangers of being a journalist in post-Soviet Russia, Miami University will be hosting a conference titled "Russian Journalism Under Fire," and flying in journalists and specialists from the country.

The conference will take place April 2-3 and will mainly focus on the history of Russian journalism, the current and future state of journalism in the country, and main issues in Russia at this time.

Karen Dawisha, director of the Havighurst Center for Russian and Post Soviet studies, spurred the idea for the conference.

"I wanted to do something on journalism in Russia for some time," Dawisha said. "We're just getting under way with the new journalism program (at Miami) and I thought it was a good time to have a partnership. Journalism is really important. It is worth considering why it is that people in some parts of the world are willing to die for it."

Since Vladimir Putin took power in Russia in 1999, journalists have faced particular pressure from the government and some been killed for their outspoken opposition to those in power.

Patricia Gallagher Newberry, lecturer in the journalism program and chair of the conference planning committee, said the violence and obstruction of reporting in Russia would be the main theme at the conference.

"The overriding theme (of the conference) is the suppression of speech and journalism in Russia," Newberry said. "We settled on this as a worthwhile topic because 13 journalists have been killed since Putin has been in power. Aggressive journalists have found themselves in harm's way."

Anna Politkovskaya, an award-winning and "aggressive" Russian journalist, was shot to death in October 2006. Both Newberry and Dawisha said they had hoped she would be a speaker at the conference, and her death increased the importance of focusing suppression of freedoms at this event.

So far, six speakers have been confirmed. They range from Nina Ognianova; European and Central Asia program coordinator of the Committee to Protect Journalists, which is a nonprofit organization aimed at defending journalists' rights; to Dmitry Muratov, Politkovskaya's editor at Novaya Gazeta.

Many sessions will run during the two days, but specific events have not yet been decided.

Newberry also said that in addition to speaking about the dangers faced in Russia, the guests will be talking about topics that could invite personal harm if discussed.

"(The conference) will draw attention to the issue and I think anytime you draw

attention to critical issues you open yourself up for (danger)," Newberry said. "It is a bit daunting to have these people in the same place talking about danger, but I wouldn't say I'm overly concerned about it."

Newberry said local authorities will be contacted to ensure everyone's safety for the duration of the speakers' visit.

Miami students will also add their work to the conference. Dawisha's class on Russian politics will be presenting posters displaying their research on Russian policies and two students from assistant professor Cheryl Heckler's international journalism capstone class will make videos to play during the conference.

Miami senior Scott Guye volunteered to create a video on Anna Politkovskaya's death and the difficulties journalists in Russia face.

"It's not necessarily (Politkovskaya's) death that people should take notice of, but the dangers journalists in foreign countries face," Guye said. "I think more generally what happened to her applies to everyone. She did what a lot of people in the U.S. do - go out and report the news, but she was killed for it."

For the Miami community in general and journalism students in particular, the need to look globally is an important point of the conference, according to those involved.

"I think at a liberal arts institution like Miami we want to give students as broad a look at journalism as we can," Newberry said. "We want them to know about journalism regionally, nationally and internationally."

Dawisha hopes that people come away from the conference understanding the importance of cultivating journalists and a free press to ensure the success of democracy.

"Any democracy requires open and free journalism," Dawisha said. "We need to train journalists and educate everyone to the importance of free press in democracy. You can't have a democracy without a free press."

It will cost around $20,000 to bring all the guests together. Sponsors for the event include the Havighurst Center for Russia and Post Soviet Studies, the provost's office, and the College of Arts and Science dean's office.

There is also support from the journalism program and the student chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists.