Russian activist to discuss current political opposition

Jonathan Gair

The daughter of the first post-Soviet Russian prime minister, Maria Gaidar, will speak to students on the topic of "The Authorities, Society and Opposition in Russia," Tuesday.

Gaidar, who is in her mid-20s, founded the political activist group Democratic Alternative (which, as the acronym "DA!," translates to "yes!" in Russian) and was arrested in 2006. In a public anti-Kremlin demonstration, she and another protester repelled off a main bridge in Moscow to hang a banner demanding a re-empowerment of the public in national elections.

Karen Dawisha, professor of political science and director of the Havighurst Center for Russian and Post-Soviet Studies, said via e-mail the main goal in hosting the lecture event was to bring in an active political opponent of current Prime Minister Vladimir Putin.

"Here is someone who represents both the next generation, but also someone who is willing to fight for her version of Russia's political future," Dawisha said.

She also said that Gaidar has an uncommonly optimistic story of standing up for political rights in an unfavorable political landscape.

In an interview, Gaidar discussed the maturing role of DA!, concern over the economic situation in Russia, the conflict in Georgia and the visibility of Putin and current President Dmitry Medvedev.

"The first problem is economic slowdown and oil prices going down," Gaider said. "If the economic slowdown happens ... the Putin regime will not survive."

Gaidar was vocal about the need for her organization to move from a younger, more divisive group into one that was more mature and could attract a larger audience. Stating that her Moscow bridge demonstration was more characteristic of a younger DA!, Gaidar felt the message and national exposure that emerged as a result of the protest was important.

"It was a way to say we exist and we have a position and we're not afraid to exercise that position," Gaidar said.

While Gaidar admits there are still problems in reaching rural areas and a more mainstream audience, DA! seems to be able to tap into a wider audience than just liberal intellectuals.

When asked about the best way to recruit new members and spread the word about DA!, Gaidar was clear.

"The Internet is the best and the cheapest way," Gaidar said.

She later spoke on more of the ways she wanted her organization to mature, focusing on turning DA! from a mere organization to an "intellectual center" that could provide for a serious dialogue about Russia's future.

Gaidar said at the discussion she plans to speak to students about her own experiences (including her campaign for a seat in parliament), the political opposition in Russia as it applies to the nation's younger generation and may even attempt to dispel some myths about Russia today.

However, through all of this activism, Gaidar still sees her biggest accomplishment as creating change on even the smallest level.

"We saved seven schools in Moscow from being moved outside the city," Gaidar said.

Dawisha hopes that Gaidar's discussion will inspire students to become more politically engaged here in America.

The lecture will be at 5 p.m. in Pearson 112 and is open to all students and staff.

For a full podcast of the interview with Gaidar, visit The Miami Student online at www.miamistudent.net.