Rugby team thrives with alumni support

Katherine Ladt

Miami University alumni have come to play a large part in the wellbeing of Miami students from donations to devoting their own time to ensure success for all.

The Miami men's rugby club team is one group that benefits daily from the support and guidance of Miami alumnus Jarred Moore, who stepped in as coach in fall 2007. His love for Miami rugby became infectious as the team transformed into the nationally recognized organization that they are today.

This past weekend marked the season opening when the team ambushed Kent State 59-0 at Yager Stadium. Under the leadership of president David Vargo and captains Ryan Grote and Alex Megura, nationals is already within reach. The team meets year round as it competes in eight to ten league games in the fall and travels as far as Florida and California for nationals in the spring.

Vargo and Grote described the competitive nature of the sport and the ability their team has to remain skillful, tactful and keep up the stamina. With the combination of those three things this team has been able to be in the game zone on the field and develop lasting bonds with each other along the way.

Rugby allows those who have played various sports such as football and soccer to challenge themselves in a new arena.

"I like it because it's a dynamic game," Grote said. "Everyone has a chance to run the ball, kick, pass and tackle ... what more could you want?"

This year marks the 41st anniversary of Miami men's club rugby as the team sets out to conquer all, especially in-state rival

University of Dayton. Along with a large alumni following, the team has distinguished itself by allowing a rolling roster of availability as spots shift each semester.

The fall roster is filled with team veterans who are determined to maintain motivation and bring home a title.

"We are working hard this season to avenge last spring's (nationals) loss in order to carry on the tradition that has helped our team get to where we are and were we are going," Vargo said.

The men's rugby team will be back on its home turf across from Ditmer Oct. 3 at 3 p.m. This group of men is one that cannot be passed up as they embody the physical and mental aspects vital for any athlete and provide entertainment with cleats on and off. Head to Ditmer to check out their skills and be sure to get your club on!