Revisiting Harper Lee’s classic novel: What makes it so good?

By Emily Westerfield, For The Miami Student

With the announcement that Harper Lee will soon be publishing her second novel, many fans might think about when they first read of "To Kill A Mockingbird," which has held for 50 years as Lee's only published work. Many of us who adore the literary classic are counting down the days until we can pick up our copy of "Go Set a Watchman," which deals with Scout's character as a young woman and referred to by Lee as "the parent to 'Mockingbird."

And then, the excitement might settle into a state of anticipation of the novel that Lee once said would never come to be. Perhaps in this anticipation, we will also reflect on what makes "To Kill a Mockingbird" arguably one of the greatest American novels ever written. We might even start to wonder what makes any novel "great."

"To Kill a Mockingbird" transcends the time period in which it was originally published, latching onto themes that will continue to be of great significance to the reading public. Looking at other novels that are considered to be one of the "best novels of all time," we'll notice a similar trend. Take Tolstoy's "War and Peace," for example. Its themes regarding life, love and war, all of which are still universal and relevant topics today, are referred back to by our generation and will continue to be regarded by later generations.

At the heart of "To Kill a Mockingbird" is a family: a father with a moral compass that surpasses that of the other characters and two children who lose their innocence, discovering the meaning of justice, as well as the frustrating deficiency of justice in the world around them. The family has always been a prominent part, if not the heart, of life for individuals throughout history and around the world. It's unifying theme.

Atticus is a universal symbol of justice and morality, primarily in a court of law - a hero of sorts who does what is right at any cost. We read "To Kill a Mockingbird" in much the same manner as Scout learns from Atticus, both from his fatherly advice and even more so through the example that he sets for his children and for the rest of Maycomb County, Alabama. The novel hones in on the idea of racism, which even after the Civil Rights Movement, remains a prominent issue in the United States in the year 2015. The novel also focuses on unfounded prejudices against certain characters, namely the iconic Boo Radley, based on their "otherness" in relation to the rest of society. As long as prejudice exists in the world, "To Kill a Mockingbird" will continue to raise important questions about society. The novel is, on the one hand, relatable; and, on the other, representative of virtue, of pushing personal judgments and appearances out of the forefront of the mind so that the truth may shine through.

So again, I ask, what goes into the creation of a great novel? Above all, such a novel must focus primarily on themes that always have been and will continue to be pertinent to society. Such topics include family relationships, morality, justice and love. As long as the world continues to turn, these ideas will still matter to readers. A great novel will continue to inspire readers to live in a certain way in relation to those themes. It encourages intellectual and moral growth and cultivates a strong sense of hope and desire to work for something good and right in a world where improvement does not always seem possible. "To Kill a Mockingbird does exactly this, and I expect "Go Set a Watchman" to do the same.