Restored relations with Cuba means more opportunities to travel, study in the island nation

By Maggie Callaghan, For The Miami Student

Miami University students now have a variety of opportunities to experience first-hand the land of white sands, rolling mountains, cigars and rum.

This summer, Miami announced two new study abroad programs to Cuba, one through the Farmer School of Business (FSB) and the other with the journalism program.

These new programs come in the wake of the United States restoring diplomatic relations with Cuba, ending a financial, commercial and economic embargo between the two countries that lasted more than 50 years.

FSB announced they will take 24 students to Cuba during J-term. Students will take two classes, focusing on supply chain and economics, and will earn six credit hours.

According to the FSB international programs website, students will focus on the business implications, economic changes, financial factors and marketing opportunities in Cuba.

"Students will be able to see the country in its current state … before it begins its transition into the global market … and will be able to identify all of the business opportunities," said Kim Suellau, director of FSB international programs.

The journalism program also announced a study abroad trip to Cuba. It will be divided into three parts. The first week, students will take an online course to familiarize themselves with Cuban history. Then, they will spend a week in Cuba, where they will take morning classes, go on excursions and do reporting in the afternoon.

According to Patricia Newberry, journalism professor and one of the faculty members leading the trip, students will be searching for stories that relate to Southwest Ohio. When the students return home, they will spend a week writing a story based on their reporting.

"This is very much a global issue and we are localizing it," Newberry said.

The Latin American Studies program also offers a trip to Cuba during the winter term, which will convene this January for the third time.

This is a rare opportunity for Miami students, and they are excited about the unique and historic opportunity.

"College is about learning, and there is a lot we can learn from Cuba," said Dylan Oncken, a sophomore in FSB.

Suellau visited Cuba this summer and elaborated on the variety of culture students will experience while abroad.

"You won't see a Starbucks … no track lines from planes, no ships," said Suellau.

Newberry also visited the country this summer, and described the same opportunity for journalism students.

"It'll be interesting [for students] to go in 2016 and then watch what happens in Cuba," Newberry said.